would anyone...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah I'd do it if the weather is good:)

I am headed to Scapa Flow in April and I was thinking of a quick stop over to dive the Doria on the way

anyone want to go

Thanks for the tip, Mech. That's something we should all remember, but I suppose more often than not, it's testosterone/ego that gets in the way.

MechDiver once bubbled...

If you only learn one thing from the book, let it be that you can call a dive anytime, for any reason.

I dove the doria a while back....for anyone thinking of doing it......DO IT!( if you have the training) It will be an experience you will never forget. Must warn you about a couple things.

1. it is EXPENSIVE, try to go in a group, its cheaper. Im planning another trip this summer.

2. The dish room is a lot harder to find then expected.

I urge all who have the training to dive this wreck, but be careful.

Portions of this thread have been deleted due to their harrassing nature and uncalled for personal attacks. Those of you doing the bashing know who you are and I know all of you have been on Scuba Board long enough to know this kind of attack is not allowed. Do not let it happen again.

The U869 "U-who" and the Doria were on my list for this past summer, but I bought my own boat last fall, and pretty much all plans changed. I am finding now, that I can visit more of the less frequented closer (U-Who and Doria are more than 50 miles off shore) wrecks. As for deep, plenty in the Mud hole which is only 15-20 miles out. Much better run in my slow boat. May still do the two next year on Zero's new boat.

ps... if anyone is interested in diving the Doria, better plan it soon, she is crumbling into the sea very quickly. She is already not the pristine fully intact shipwreck she was, and within a few years there will be noting but a rubble pile in 240 fsw.

dive safe,

dan

www.wreck-finder.com

NJ Wreck Finder once bubbled...
if anyone is interested in diving the Doria, better plan it soon, she is crumbling into the sea very quickly. She is already not the pristine fully intact shipwreck she was, and within a few years there will be noting but a rubble pile in 240 fsw.

Yes, I've heard that, and I'm trying to re-define my dreams and focus on something that might still be around when I reach that level. Not that digging around in the rubble pile won't be nice for trying to find artifacts, but perhaps my 'dreams' should re-focus on something like the Empress of Ireland instead! :)

....However, I need more training and practice...Not to mention a little bit stronger job to financially support more equipment and training....damn gear intensive sport.

-TT

Never had the urge to dive the Doria, I guess because of all the hype and the nasty boat ride required to get to it.

A couple of weeks ago at, Haigh Quarry, I heard an instructor bragging to his student that he had dived the Mt. Everest of wrecks. While listening to his bs I noticed the dangling gauges on him and his students that led me to believe he still hadn't learned anything. If a diver is really interested in diving it thats one thing but given the distance and conditions for most it's just the hype. there are divers doing deeper wrecks that are much more pleasant to get to every day but there isn't a book about them. Now days 250 isn't a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom