Would like to build a speargun need help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capdiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Thank to everone that uses this board, I love to read a lot of the post. My leg is going to be operated on again and a long time in a cast. Found the trigger and most of the metal parts that are needed. but my question is on the wood I see teak and mohogane used a lot one question is can I put these together. All and any help on this new speargun will be great.
Thanks Captain Steve

I would try www.spearboard.com They have many threads about building guns. Actually most great spearguns are hand made.

Also there are many threads discussing different kinds of guns for different uses. And you should have a clear idea what you will be shooting, and where before you start your project.

To answer your question: I don't see why not. As long as you take your time, and use right adhesives for your laminates.

every wood expands and contracts with moisture and do so at a different rates, I would not think using different types of wood would be a good idea it is likely to split once it gets a little moisture in it. Teak is expensive and does not hold lacquer very well but is very water resistant and stiff, I think they use mahogany as a good compromise since it will hold a lacquer (urethane) coat very well. it should not bend there is a lot of force when the bands are attached to the shaft. Good luck, Ill post when I start my own project to do just this.

Laminates of the same wood are done so that the grains of each layer support each other and reduce bending.

PRL is right about the posts on spearboard. Just to warn you building a good gun takes a lot of time and practice, not to mention tons of woodworking tools. You most likely won't get it right on the first try. If all else fails just do like I did and give Daryl Wong a call.

Josh over at Neptonics Systems has a lot of experience building guns as well as all the parts you'll need. Google his site. He's a great guy and incredibly patient.

If you have a decent background in woodworking it's not totally impossible.
I've been making sawdust for 30 years and I still ran into some headaches.
Nate's correct about Neptonic Systems Speargun and Freediving Equipment for the parts and Josh is a great guy to deal with.
Here's 3 different guns I built, posted over on Spearboard:
My gunbuild (finally) - Spearboard Spearfishing Community
Nor-Cal Bamboo shortie - Spearboard Spearfishing Community
Tiger & Lace - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

3526505744_c16dd36773.jpg

3486351115_0b461f5256.jpg

4475038214_5b93319165.jpg

Niiiiice, Haliotis ruber. Keep making sawdust sir.

Back
Top Bottom