Would taking aspirin help to guard against DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. It appears I have morphed the two into a single entity.
Probably just had a duh moment on venous vs arterial bubbles. And in truth it doesn't seem as clear cut as we like to think. Then add in the other factors...

Hello,

There is no answer to this question.

There are theoretical arguments for and against using aspirin for prevention or treatment of DCS. Some of those have been articulated on this thread. There are studies that confirm some theoretical mechanisms of benefit (for example, aspirin reduces bubble induced platelet aggregation). Perhaps not surprisingly, aspirin has been used speculatively in this context, especially in some European countries. However, the bottom line is that there are no relevant data (human or animal) that convincingly show an actual outcome benefit, and there are potential problems; not least of which that severe spinal DCS may produce small bleeds in the spinal cord. The extent to which these contribute to the observed spinal dysfunction, and to which aspirin may make them worse, is unknown.

For the above reasons, peak diving medicine bodies (particularly in the USA) have been reluctant to recommend the use of aspirin in prevention or treatment of DCS. The last review by the UHMS Adjunctive Treatments Committee did not recommend it.

Simon M

I haven't heard of aspirin helping prevent dcs but I have read that eating dark chocolate before diving does.

Well say no more!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom