Would you believe it? ANOTHER equipment question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krame

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all!

I bet you never saw this one coming! I'm looking to upgrade my Gopro HD Hero (The orignal one) and in this matter, I'm interested something almost exclusively for video.

After spending some time lurking around the board, I've tried to get a basic knowledge of the current offerings. So first, I'd like to know if my understandings are correct.

In terms of video quality (and cost): Action Cam --> Compact Camera --> Micro 4/3 --> Actual camcorder

Within the action camera category: Gopro 3 Black and Gopro 3+
Within the compact camera category: Panasonic LX7 and Sony RX100
Within the Micro 4/3: ??
Within the Actuall Camcorder: ??

I'm going to start out and estimate that I cannot afford the setup for an actual video camera.
If my understanding of the Micro 4/3 where you not only need multiple lenses, but matching ports...unlikely to afford that option as well.

So that leaves me with the Gopro, LX7, or RX100.

Having viewed clips and posts from Interceptor121 and ronscuba, I've tentatively decided to jump up to the compact camera category.

In terms of video only, the LX7 appears to have an advantage over the RX100 (II?) due to the faster lens, better out of the box macro, and dedicated WB button. From the posts read by the people mentioned above, there does not appear to be a significant difference in video quality.

So my question is, if the LX7 has arguably better for video, why are other websites and some people migrating to the RX100?

Thanks all!

Mark

There are people migrating to RX100 because they want more photos, so they're not really fully dedicated to video. Also, LX-7 is very frustrating when come to finding wide angle lens that would be compatible, there is only one that works but you're limited to 105 degree FOV.

If you're exclusively for video, camcorder is actually cheaper than M43, look up some Sony/Canon consumer handy cam. Handy cam provide more video specific features like shutter speed, aperture during shooting video, which none of the point and shoot camera provide besides LX7 and RX100.

Spent some time looking at camcorders, and while there is certainly some promise, there is almost nill user feedback. Even CNET doesn't appear to review these products much anymore. As observed in other posts and blogs, due to the compact camera's abililty to shoot HD video, the consumer market is shrinking.

The Canon HF M500/50/52 seems like a reasonable choice...
1) What kind of macro performance does it offer? The underwater case specifications state that the min focus distance is 2" from the glass..of what I assume to be the case, not the camera. So is that good? Is that bad?
2) Is manual white balance reachable while in the underwater case?
3) One of the only reviews I could find stated the focal lenght was limited. It is 6.1 - 66. What does that translate to underwater? I have an 18-55mm zoom on my Nikon DSLR and it works for 95% of all shots taken but since I dive in murkey water, a mega zoom doesn't help much. Close up being much more important.

Please advise,

Mark

Is manual white balance reachable while in the underwater case?
No, none of the touchscreen functions are available when the camera is in the housing.
With the WP-V4, it's easy. At your fingertips are direct control buttons for record start/stop, telephoto and wide zoom, photo capture and preview.

My buddy shoots a M200/WP-V2. After getting average results using the underwater mode preset, I think he bought a red filter. I'm fairly certain from Optical Ocean Sales.

This shows my lack of knowledge, and I didn't really see a clear answer on this board or Wetpixel, but if you have a filter, do you need to manually white balance? What about at depth with video lights? How important is not having the ability to adjust white balance during the dive?

Although I can't speak for that camera, if you use a red filter, in post editing you should be able to correct the color balancing. I usually do it by using the sand on the bottom or something else that should be white in the shot. With out a red filter, post correction at depth isn't possible. I've heard of others who manual WB there cameras on the sand or even brown coral.

Even with red filter, you should still do custom white balance because the red lost its effectiveness as the deeper you go. That's why GoPro is not a true dedicated video equipment for me. I think Red filter is only effective up to 45 feet on a sunny clear day, but you said you're in murkey water, so that will reduce its effect.

Anyway, back to your camcorder question. I have a Sanyo Xacti vpc-hd2000 and it has a one touch custom white balance feature. These days most camcorder switch to touch screen so a lot of the feature is lost once in the housing. In some camcorder, I believe you can assign white balance to a "function key" or some custom key so you can summon that feature easily. Look up some of the camcorder manual or even stop by Best Buy to play with the camcorder. Talk to places like Optical Ocean Sales or Reef Photos etc and perhaps they have some recommendation.

One of the way for me to research is to go to Youtube, search for that particular camcorder and scuba footage. Chances if someone some where in the world brought that camcorder into the water and you can see what kind of result you would get from that camcorder.

As far as Macro, I don't think it affect much in term of the capability of the camera. I have the LX-7, it's rated to 1cm macro distance, but when I put into the housing and with the diapoter, the macro setting is useless as the camera can't focus, so I just shoot in standard focus mode, and swim closer or away from the critter, which normally is 5 to 10" away.

---------- Post added October 3rd, 2013 at 11:59 AM ----------

Ok, did some quick search for Sony and Canon. They're all touch screen these days and the housing are $1000+. I guess the demand is low so things get expensive. If you're remotely interested at the Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD2000, PM me as I'm getting ready to sell mine. Here is the sample of the footage I took with it. I had Magic Filter, and the Inon UFL-165AD (the best wide angle lens!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtt5ZNuiic8

The Sanyo take 1080p footage, but I only shot at 720p since my computer can't handle 1080p for post processing. Its photo feature is not good, just so you know.

I have spent some time on youtube and vimeo; camcorder examples underwater are severely limited. The few examples of an LX7 are those of a Interceptor121 and Ronscuba. Since I really don't have the budget for a camcorder with available custom white balance, it's probably down to LX-7 or RX100 ii.

I guess the question now: In terms of video, is the RX100 ii better enough to justify costing twice as much of the LX-7?

If you're going with the RX100II, you better check with Intercepter121 and understand what he's talking about in his blog because custom white balance in the RX100II (same as RX100) during video shooting is a pain in the rear, you have to work around with some dialing and menu etc.

If you're going with the RX100II, you better check with Intercepter121 and understand what he's talking about in his blog because custom white balance in the RX100II (same as RX100) during video shooting is a pain in the rear, you have to work around with some dialing and menu etc.

Noted. One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the LX-7, that and realism on what I'll actually be able to produce, as I am not a natural videographer, amount of dives worth actually videoing, and overall cost.

Thank you for all of your help and insight! I'm not in a particular rush to buy this set up. I figure around Christmas or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom