Would you believe it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey justleesa I posted the same story earlier, but I just copied the article off the star bulletin. I saw it on the news last night (Friday). Pretty wild. Did it happen because he was spearfishing?

justleesa:
Better bookmark that one. In another six months no one will believe you. "Barracuda puts 2" hole in mans chest"...

(CR, it was apparently (thought to be) attracted by the diver's dive light...they're known to attack shiny, flashy things...)

Thanks for the cite - never heard of anything like it previously...

ch0ppersrule:
Hey justleesa I posted the same story earlier, but I just copied the article off the star bulletin. I saw it on the news last night (Friday). Pretty wild. Did it happen because he was spearfishing?

Opps! sorry I missed it..I only looked here.

Seems the guy is out of ICU and they still have no idea to what exactly caused the attack. But as DI says they think it was his dive light. ( I have heard several different versions of the story....even that they were out of the water when it happened . So who reall knows?)

I'm surprised this is only the second 'cudda attack they know of in Hawaii - I thought it was much more common (not the "stabbing", but bites etc..)

Amazing the young man made it back to shore - sounds like he had a good buddy who really took care of him...

Tim

The fish experts are saying it was a needle fish not a cuda. I was gonna post it too!

It was a night dive....and I think in the news they said scuba diver...but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I'll see if I hear anymore.

It does seem from the news report that the fish was attracted by the dive light, barracuda are attracted to 'shiny' objects. many people have been bitten because of having silver jewelry on and the sunlight catching it will attract the fish. I'm awlays a little nervous shooting pictures of barracuda because of the flash going off may attract it, but have never had any agression shown to date.

I hate using the word 'attack' when it comes to a fish biting someone in this manner, whether it is a barracuda, shark, eel or what ever. this seems to be a case of mistaken identity on the fish's part and not a malicous attack, I don't think the fish was trying to eat this young man. The media want to use that word too way often when it cames to a shark bitings and it demonises the animal and it's just not right.

Thank God this young man is going to be alright and that his family and friends have an understanding for the ways of the ocean.

Sounds like needle fish to me. They jump out at night when you shine a light on the surface. I heard a surfer died once when one stuck in his temple. Barracuda have no appendage that would stick in the guy's chest. check this out
http://www.aloha.com/~lifeguards/needle.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom