Would you buy a reg and computer online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes - I would and I did.

I bet if you had started this thread as a poll, the results would come out heavily skewed in favour of buying online.

Yup - online polls usually do.

:eyebrow:

How can they get away with all this price fixing BS?! It turns me off their products in a big way. It is a rare day that some price negotiation cant take place. that is what drives free markey and why some stores do better than others. Because they are will to deal with people who value the money they earned - and inturn are about to spend. I dont work my tail for the man just to throw it away on price fixing!!! ARGH!!!

The whole "gray market" nonsense is the same issue. If a store can buy over seas and sell to US markets for a deal - let them. Its the same damn product. They are just screwing us over - and over - and over- and not in the way we like ; )

You still buy gas right? You still purchase a new cell phone right? Their is price fixing in every industry.

Problem is, people are afraid to pay for stuff. Always looking for a deal and they find that on the internet. What ends up happening is the local LDS has to make a living and with the shrinking business they, the local LDS, has to pass some costs off on to the customer. Not saying they can't find a better way to sell to you but dropping 3000 grand in this industry is peanuts to get started. Maybe you should stop complaining about price fixing and start focusing on find a good dealer, local or internet. Price fixing is a way of life in the western world, go to asia if you want to get away from it.

You still buy gas right? You still purchase a new cell phone right? Their is price fixing in every industry.

Problem is, people are afraid to pay for stuff. Always looking for a deal and they find that on the internet. What ends up happening is the local LDS has to make a living and with the shrinking business they, the local LDS, has to pass some costs off on to the customer. Not saying they can't find a better way to sell to you but dropping 3000 grand in this industry is peanuts to get started. Maybe you should stop complaining about price fixing and start focusing on find a good dealer, local or internet. Price fixing is a way of life in the western world, go to asia if you want to get away from it.

They price fix in Asia just as well, been there and their price is almost the same as the States

who says that you have to have your regs serviced locally. I send mine to a dive shop in Key Largo that I've dove with regularily. I know the folks and they do excellent, quick work. They can get them back to me in a couple weeks. UPS is only a few $$.

I put a lot of dives on my reg. (100+/yr), so I get it checked every year. Cost is about $75-80 incl shipping. Cheap insurance on my most vital piece of dive gear.

PM me if you want more info.

Competition is the way of life, or we would not shop. You can buy ski equipment in Orlando. I wouldn't expect that store to compete on price with those ski superstores in Utah. He serves a small market of people who want to buy ski stuff here.

That might be similar to selling dive equipment in Utah. The volume of dive gear sold probably does not promote much economy in retailing or local competition.

People aren't afraid to pay for stuff. I have no problem at all paying for stuff. I do have a problem paying significantly more for the same item than I have to. There's a huge difference. Granted, a local shop has to make a living. I have no problem paying them for their service. But if they can't price competitively, then they get no business from me and that makes it harder for them to make money. Most internet shops are also local shops. They have store fronts and inventory, employees to pay for, etc. They've managed to adapt to a changing economy and open their marketshare to an increased number of consumers.

Granted that $3,000 isn't much to get started in diving...but it's still a sizable investment for most people. Especially with the cost of living going up considerably in recent times. I aim to get the most for my money when I shop...and I do take local service into consideration. I was able to get my dealer to get close to the internet prices on my regs...it cost me a little more, but I bought them from the shop instead of online. Had they been too far off, I would have bought them online. It takes a lot of service costs to make up the difference that some of these shops charge when they won't price competitively. Most things I buy, I buy at least two of since my wife also dives with me.

To the OP, I wouldn't have an issue buying online. I tend to mix my purchases between local and internet. It depends on cost, how quick I need it and how much I'm saving.

Shane

Hi all,

I just bought my gear from ST with a great deal. I tried the local LDS. Than looked at ST. E-mailed them. I got alot better gear than what the local LDS had and I saved even with shipping from ST. Savings was around $700... The LDS locally wouldn't give me any deals.
Kurt

Hi all,

I just bought my gear from ST with a great deal. I tried the local LDS. Than looked at ST. E-mailed them. I got alot better gear than what the local LDS had and I saved even with shipping from ST. Savings was around $700... The LDS locally wouldn't give me any deals.
Kurt

ST is a great company to deal with. Enjoy your new toys:D

$3000 is more than enough for a diver to get started with a complete set of gear that will easily last for 5 years. I bet you can get 2 sets for that price. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to consider shopping somewhere else.

$3000 is more than enough for a diver to get started with a complete set of gear that will easily last for 5 years. I bet you can get 2 sets for that price. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to consider shopping somewhere else.

The op was looking to for 2 set for 3000.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom