Would you buy historical wreck artifacts?

Is it ok to sell artifacts from wrecks?

• It's ok - it's no different than writing books.

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • No...artifacts belong in museums or in the collection of someone who actually made the dive.

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • No - take pictures and leave only bubbles

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • What's the question again?

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious...what would be the difference between a 'war grave' and simply a 'grave'?

A distinction I'd wondered about too but I do think it's reasonable to show added respect for those who die serving their country.

Ya thats sort of the thinking I have. If men and women died for their country to protect us they deserve to rest in peace, the only reason I could see to do any penetration on a war grave would be to solve some kind of mystery such as the U-869. Dives such as the Doria where there was loss of civilian life are ok to dive IMO, and I dont see any reason not to take some artifacts such as cups and plates, things like the bell or whatever I would leave. I also wouldn't sell any pieces either but that is just me.

I'm an archaeologist and I say it depends on the wreck. Hands off ancient and older historical wrecks, and respect military ships sunk in wartime. Too much information has been lost due to subsurface pothunting, especially in the Mediterranean. At the same time, I have no real problem with artifacts being sold from the Andrea Doria or more recent wrecks. If a wreck has been excavated in the proper manner with appropriate permissions and recording by professionally qualified staff, then again, I have no problem with the salvager selling items to recoup the costs, after everything has been documented thoroughly. It's all about the provenience of an artifact and how it was acquired.

I'm an archaeologist and I say it depends on the wreck. Hands off ancient and older historical wrecks, and respect military ships sunk in wartime. Too much information has been lost due to subsurface pothunting, especially in the Mediterranean. At the same time, I have no real problem with artifacts being sold from the Andrea Doria or more recent wrecks. If a wreck has been excavated in the proper manner with appropriate permissions and recording by professionally qualified staff, then again, I have no problem with the salvager selling items to recoup the costs, after everything has been documented thoroughly. It's all about the provenience of an artifact and how it was acquired.

Where would old wooden shipwrecks of the Caribbean and FL Key's fall in your spectrum, so to speak?

Here is what I'm getting at. Florida has pretty well said anything in its territorial waters are its property. If I'm out on my own dollar and I find a an old wooden wreck (no wood left, only ballast), I figure out what it is, (if I understand FL Salvage law correctly) I can't salvage it? The State gets to reap the rewards of my work.

Are you talking about Spanish-period wrecks? If so, I would say they should be offlimits unless there is a professional archaeologist overseeing the operation and recovery. To archaeologists, the value is not in the artifact itself, but in how it is associated with other items and features (e.g., where it was located within the ship). Unfortunately, to many others, the artifacts have a monetary value, which has resulted in much lost history and data. Even if you only are taking an artifact because you would like it in your collection, it is another piece of the puzzle that is lost.

I would only collect an artifact from a wreck if

1) I was part of the discovery
2) The site excavation and evaluation of the wreck's history had been completed
3) No descration of the dead

Just my thoughts........

I have no interest in wreck artifacts, but have no real opinion on whether people collect them. I like looking at wrecks though, and would prefer things left on the wreck for me to see but understand that they will eventually break down and others might want to preserve them.

On the topic of war grave versus grave, I see no difference between the two. The death of a civilian is as tragic as the death of someone in the defense forces.

There is a reason that artifacts from historical shipwreaks are not allowed to be listed on eBay!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom