Would you dive the Farallones?

Would you dive the Farallones?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No for me. I have so much to learn it's not even in the realm of my comprehension. You guys get it all to yourselves!

Great photos and the 18ft GW story gave me the chills.

Peter_C:
Sam, for some reason those attacks you mention do not show up on any of the websites that list shark attacks.

Sharks and Survial
Perry Gilbert, Cornell University
1963 (There is another later edition)
Lcc # 62-22519

Page 536 Leroy French--Nov 11, 1962
did not mark Cousteau --can't immediately locate

How about Albert Kogler 1959 at Bakers Beach ? Close!

SDM

Chuck Tribolet:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/sharkdata2.pdf is the best listing I've found of California
shark attacks.

If the dates are correct there must have been a lapse in the records. First was 1926 then 1950. Still 90 odd incidents in ~50 years is something to think about. Statistically it may be a small chance, but it's something. I also noticed that most of the attacks (statewide) were between May and January. Sounds like the time guidelines you stated are right on.

Chuck Tribolet:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/sharkdata2.pdf is the best listing I've found of California
shark attacks.
Everybody says that Northern California is where the sharks live but looking at those stats it seems that the whole state is pretty equal. What I didn't see was what species where involved in the incidents. Down south I would assume there where some encounters with blue sharks but up here it's 99.999% GWS.

ZKY:
Everybody says that Northern California is where the sharks live but looking at those stats it seems that the whole state is pretty equal. What I didn't see was what species where involved in the incidents. Down south I would assume there where some encounters with blue sharks but up here it's 99.999% GWS.
Blue sharks are not particularly dangerous, and we do get them up here when the water
gets a little warm.

Something to remember is that the opportunity for a GWS encounter at the Farallones
is low because of a low number of people in the water. So it has a disproportionate
number of incidents relative to the rest of the state. But, yes, the Landlord can be
there anywhere in the state, any time of the year.

hells no. how do i remove brown stains from my wetsuit later after an encounter with the LandLord.

you guys who are diving the Farallons have Grandes Cojones...

-J.-

For anyone interested in the shark behaviors out at the Farallones I have a great read for you. It is about Scott Anderson and Peter Pyles and their research on the GW at the Farallones for over 20 years. They are 2 of the very few lucky enough to endure the weather and seasons out there. It is called the Devils Teeth. I started reading it this weekend and couldn't put it down. Susan Casey who wrote the book was invited by the 2 to be a part of their research for a season. She does an amazing job in keeping you captivated by this book. I would love to dive the Farallones, but I would have to admit I would have to finish this book and probably would only trust Chuck to take me there.

My brother dove the Andrea Doria this last Summer and had a man die on their boat. The Andrea is miles and miles from shore. About 2 hours in flight and the man deceased. I would have to really have some trust in order to do a dive where there is help so far. I would never want to go through what they did on that boat that day.

I LOVE the pictures. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you for sharing. For about a year now the Farallones have seemed to pop into my life every so often. Such as catching specials on TV and running into this book. I would love to go, but I would like to first just be a viewer and see how the whole system works.

Everyone please trust on this book it is a great read. The Devils Teeth.

I voted yes (for lack of yes, but...)

I had an opportunity several years ago to go on the Pac Star. A girlfriend DM'd for the boat. I was poor at the time and, if memory serves, I didn't have the cash. Hindsight tells me it was a good choice not to go. I was a relatively new diver with my "advanced" cards & such. I was clueless about detailed safety procedures such as outlined by Chuck. My buddies (again in hindsight) would have been inadequate. Lisa came back and wouldn't let me live down how great the diving was. Oh well. The islands will still be there when I'm ready.

Would I go tomorrow? No. Been outta the water for a while and need to get back in practice.

Why would I EVER want to go? Just look at the pics. I'm not afraid of sharks. I figure we're just as likely to run into one at Breakwater (OK, maybe the chances are greater in the Red Triangle, but you know...) Even so, you wouldn't find me bobbing on the surface for too long.

My scariest diving experiences have been on the commute to and from Monterey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom