Would you dive with buddy with no Octo?

Would you dive with buddy with no Octo?

• Yes

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 95 76.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least consider that there are several ways of attaching an octopus (or console... do you let that hang free?) to your front so that it isn't dangling... urchin diving or not, that basic streamlining is a good habit to be in.

Originally posted by ebbtide
i voted yes and this is why
i fish for sea urchants in nova scotia ,if i have octo hanging off my side or anywhere else i am going to be tangled up in everything all the time we have to limit our gear as to what dangles in the rocks and tide kelp beds ...

I got all sorts of crap for my 'danglies' when I was down in North Carolina, and I've been actively working on removing them in some way. This is due to the snag hazards when wreck diving. I'm sure your basically in the same boat.

Now I can only assume you have as much, if not more, of a snag hazard than wreck diving. Well, if a stowed octo can snag, than your primary can snag, and I'd prefer to have a backup in that situation. Sure, it's a little more of a snag hazard, but I'd rather have a backup in case my primary gets snagged and pulled out of my mouth!

We seem to live in a crazy world where simple non deco diving in undemanding conditions is so dangerous that it's essential to dive with every conceivable safety device x2, whilst learning fundamental skill of buddy breathing, or being able to swim is unecessary. :D

I have to side with the group of people that said NO.

Several questions quickly come to mind, what plan does he have for self resuce, what plan does he have if his buddy has a major gas supply problem, with what group did he get his cert. from, what LDS sold him gear without asking about a back-up, and if he does not care enough to protect/save himself where would I rate if a problem came up.

This type of diver is bad news.

Good choice, you lived to dive another day.

I recently dealt with this. I was diving with two friends. Neither had an octo--they planned to use tiny 'spare air' bottles, but one had trouble filling hers so she chucked it. I was not thrilled with this decision but viewed me and the other guy as buddies, viewed her as the 'extra.' Still, I don't get the inconsideration of diving with no back-up for your buddy.

For my part, I have a secondary air source on my BC but still usually add an octo if diving with someone I don't know. Why? If they dislodge the octo and grab my primary, I have somewhere to go. That seems preferable to dumping my gear and doing the ascent.

I usually don't had the spare octo when diving with people I know and trust.

First, let me say that given your situation I think you did the right thing. Given your potential buddy's number of dives and you feeling uncomfortable blowing off the dive was a good thing. The first rule that I remember is that you should never dive if you are uncomfortable with the dive.

I personaly dive with a pony and can be my own backup or backup for my buddy if needed. You mentioned though that your dive was only in 40 fsw. An instructor once told me that you only needed a pony/ octo at a depth deeper then you could do a controlled accent in an OOA situation. I like to have my pony no matter what.

Ty

I am a brand new diver, so right off the bat I think I feel more comfortable knowing that I have my buddies octo to grab if I need it! But I guess it would depend on the conditions. Normally, I think I would say "no way". But...I live in KY and will probably be diving in quarries in very controlled conditions for the most part, so if it were a very shallow dive, to 20, maybe 30 ft. at the most, I probably wouldn't worry as bad about it.

....from Budgy's pithy jab! You Scots are dry like a good gin.

Well, good job on the Buddy-briefing! At least you were both communicating. I see some people enter so quickly that I wonder if they know whether the other guy has a back-up or not.

You found a way to have fun without taking risks that you are not comfortable with. This choice will come up many times as you grow in experience & comfort. Questions like, "It's only a little stormy, and we DID drive 20 miles to get here...shouldn't we just do a short dive?" or "My tank still has 1500psi, and she breathes heavier than I do...could I make it without refilling?" You will have to evaluate as the situation comes up. You may face pressure to take risks. A decisive answer that sets a clear boundary will keep you out of regret.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom