Would you do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have done this dive a number of times ! Awesome ! it is baited - almost always attracting Black Tips - occasionally Tigers
Once the water is swarming with sharks after attracting with chum you do a backward roll onto the seething mass below,
as long as you don't wave your hands around you are fine
Aliwal Shoal is also noted for large Ragged Tooth ( Grey Nurse) numbers in winter months - June - September
Rated by Jacques Cousteau as one of the top 10 dive sites in the world

Just given my experience and my anxiety sharks (unwarranted, I know), not at the moment. I wouldn't ever rule it out but I'd want to work on my nerves before being in the midst of all those.

I would absolutely do this. I would dive with sharks every chance I got. I would love to do the Great White shark cage dive some day.

As many others have said, shark dive yes. Baited shark dive, no.

I did this. One one the best dives ever! Total exhilaration. Add to the fact that SA will be one of the best vacations that you'll ever have. Just vasybyt and enjoy the dive. (Look that word up on Google).

"Chummers" should be shoot, survivors should be hung!!

I'm a dope who can't get the video to play. But no NO NO!!!!!

Just to be clear, I have seen sharks on a dive or two, and I was delighted to see them in their own environment doing their thing -- and quite obviously we're not on the menu.

But I would not jump into the water knowing there are quite a few large sharks in the water, including tiger sharks. Even non-baited, seems to me like it's just asking for trouble.

- Bill

Chumming and baiting should be illegal!!!

I dived that reef more than a decade ago before all the chumming nonsense. There were plenty of sharks, some dolphin and numerous fish. The adventure was hanging on for the boat launch. The dive itself was a low intensity dive. I would do it again were it not for my strong objections to chumming and baiting.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom