Would you leave your buddy?

What would you do?

• I would never leave my buddy's side....No exceptions.

Votes: 78 75.0%
  • Let him surface alone because he said he could.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Let him surface alone only if I knew him personally and knew he was a good diver.

Votes: 21 20.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't going to vote for the same reason svidlano cited, but it seems from your opening post that you are only looking for the answer in this particular situation. In otherwords, it seems like instead of "I would NEVER leave my buddy - no exceptions", you meant, "I would NEVER let my buddy ascend alone - no exceptions".

I will say that I would NEVER leave my buddies side - with one exception.

If there was a situation in which I was powerless to help my buddy and would die as a result of staying, I feel that the prudent thing to do (and my buddy's only chance of survival) is to surface for help. This is the ONLY situation/exception in which I would want my buddy to leave me as well. The only thing that I can think of that would put me in that situation is if my buddy was trapped inside something or pinned by something that I could not move. I would somehow mark the location, if possible.

Christian

The other would be if my buddy becomes Polaris missile. I'll try to help him but there is a point at which he/she'll fly alone. If I surface in a good condition then there's more I can do for him/her.

svidlano:
The other would be if my buddy becomes Polaris missile. I'll try to help him but there is a point at which he/she'll fly alone. If I surface in a good condition then there's more I can do for him/her.
I agree! If your buddy was experiencing an out of control ascent, then I don't think you should follow suit. That would just make it two victims.

Christian

I agree with the last couple of threads. The original post did say the buddy had been a little nervous on the surface. In this circumstance especially I would not let them surface alone.

svidlano:
Now that one is slightly different. I would try everything to reach my buddies dump valve in that situation (and also try to disconnect the LP hose if they were inflating on purpose) I would grab them from behind if possible so they couldn't reach me and then continue a controlled ascent. Of course if I wasn't close enough to stop a runaway ascent to start with I wouldn't have any choice and would have to surface as quickly as possible from whatever depth we were at - from 10 meters not a problem - from 20, I'd watch my computer - push it - but watch it as well.

I think that the title of the thread should rather be - can we let our buddy ascend himself.

Simple example where I would leave my buddy.
I'm diving EAN36, my buddy is on air. He gets narcosis and goes down to 45 meters. I will not follow him because PO2 would be much higher than 1.6 and it would kill me.

The same in case of uncontrolled ascend - as it was already mentioned above. I'll not follow mu buddy with his speed. But I should do controlled ascend maybe at the speed of 18 meters/minute (which not so long ago was allowed) instead of 9 meters per minute but certainly not as fast as my buddy.

As I understand the poll is a result of the discussion on the "coroner's findings" thread. And in these cases (especially Ms.B) buddy should ascend together with the victim.
Mania

I wouldn't let my buddy ascend alone if I was able to go up and THEY ASCEND CORRECTLY. If they go up like a rocket I'll meet them at the top.

As for never leaving a buddy I watched my buddy descend many feet past, what I considered, a deep planned max depth. I myself descended well below the planned depth. After we passed the 130 planned depth I told myself I would not proceed past 150, I was diving air in a single tank and could not complete a "rescue" from those depths. I stopped my descent at 152fsw and watched helplessly praying that his light (my only visual reference) would stabilize. He did finally stop and come back to me, turns out a drysuit dump problem robbed him of all his ds air around 125 and he descended to around 163fsw. This was on a wall that bottoms out somewhere before 220, and while its not a difficult dive it does have the potential to be dangerous and has killed some divers over the years.

Is it a good feeling to know your buddy has exceeded your ability to help? God no. Would I split on a buddy if I thought there was any other option? Hell no!

partridge:
1. The buddy has not indicated any health problems.
2. The buddy was a bit anxious on the surface but once under water communicated well and seemed calm.
3. The buddy was using air faster than you.
4. The buddy indicated that they were down to 1000 psi and wanted to surface from about 60 feet.
5. Visibility was at about 50 feet and the buddy indicated they were willing to surface alone.
6. There are others divers with whom you can finish your dive.

1) OK good
2) Would depend how they acted on the surface, ive never seen it yet so cant comment
3) That happens, there is huge variance between air consumption among even experienced divers
4)Guess thats 100 bar or something, im assuming we have no deco stops here ?
5) If pre-dive plan mentioned it id have no problem
6) Not an issue for me.

If the buddy appeared normal, i knew them and their capabilities very well and they briefed on the surface they may surface alone i would let them do it.
Its very subjective as to the reasons for them surfacing early though.

This one actually happened to me this weekend.
We were at the end of a dive, max depth 22m, average 18m, coming up to safety stop depth with 60bar each and my buddy suddenly overshot and surfaced.
So I'm at 4.5m starting a 3min safety stop (no deco obligation) but I can see my buddy's fins moving steadily.
I can see my buddy's fins but she can't see me if I stay at my safety stop.
In the end I decided to stay and complete the stop as I saw no sense in both of us being put in risk as long as I could see her finning steadily.
When I finally surfaced she was a bit upset that I hadn't joined her earlier but we discussed it and if it ever happens again she will be reassured if she sees my bubbles coming up around her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom