Would you leave your buddy?

What would you do?

• I would never leave my buddy's side....No exceptions.

Votes: 78 75.0%
  • Let him surface alone because he said he could.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Let him surface alone only if I knew him personally and knew he was a good diver.

Votes: 21 20.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would never leave my buddy's side....No exceptions.

So more than 3 out of 4 divers claim this is what they'd do. I wonder what the reality of that is??

alemaozinho:
LISTEN UP MATE,EVERY INSTRUCTOR IS A SOLO DIVER BECAUSE THERE ISN,T MUCH THE STUDENTS COULD DO TO HELP,IF A SITUATION ARISED.I ENCOURAGE REDUNDANCY INSTEAD OF MAKING YOURSELF DEPENDEND TO SOMEONE ELSE.

I disagree. When I teach every one has a buddy including me. If I don't feel that my students are able to be a buddy yet they won't be in OW.

How do you teach buddy diving while demonstrating solo diving?

...is to never put yourself in danger to save another. Does not do any good to have two victims, etc.

I think there are a few realities here though. I was once on a night wreck dive where my buddy penetrated the wreck without even signaling me of his intentions and without a reel. (If he had signaled I would have replied no). There was no way in hell I was going inside this wreck at night without a reel to save this guy if something happened. I would do everything I could from outside the wreck to help but that is it.

Now if this were a wife or kids or something I would take more risks.

--Matt

I voted that I would not leave my buddy. I am sure there are extreme situations where one could have to make the choice as to whether to risk becoming a victim. I do not think that question can be answered in a what if scenario. God willing I will never be in a situation to make that decision. If I ever end up in that situation I will rely on my training and common sense.

Under normal circumstances as the one referenced that is in the accident forum, I would not leave my buddy. I would end the dive.

MikeFerrara:
I disagree. When I teach every one has a buddy including me. If I don't feel that my students are able to be a buddy yet they won't be in OW.

How do you teach buddy diving while demonstrating solo diving?

So if you have an even number of students you would have a three person buddy team in an open water class?

perpet1:
So if you have an even number of students you would have a three person buddy team in an open water class?

It depends on the class and what we're doing but in general, yes, a three person is an option.

What are your feelings about this issue in reverse? Instead of asking if you would end a dive because your buddy was ready, do you expect your buddy to end his/her dive because you are? I feel that this issue is also site and reason related. There is a difference between open ocean on a drift dive and the local quarry at 40 feet. Also a difference between low on air and a severe leg cramp. On many dives, granted in a more "controlled" enviroment, like a quarry, I've signaled low on air and waved goodby. At least this way my buddy knows I'm not lost or distressed nor am I expecting my buddy to end a dive on my account. If my buddy then chooses to join me topside, thats great. If not, thats a risk my buddy has also assumed.

Forgive my total newbieness, but how do you signal "go up by yourself, I'll follow in 15 minutes" or "I'm going up by myself, you just hang around 15 minutes, then come up"?

I thought the buddy rule was, if you lose sight of one another, swim in circles for 1 minute, then, ascend safely to the surface (interposing a 3 minute safety stop at 10-15')? (When I say swim in circles, I mean circle around to look for each other).

Thanks!

hdtran:
Forgive my total newbieness, but how do you signal "go up by yourself, I'll follow in 15 minutes" or "I'm going up by myself, you just hang around 15 minutes, then come up"?

I thought the buddy rule was, if you lose sight of one another, swim in circles for 1 minute, then, ascend safely to the surface (interposing a 3 minute safety stop at 10-15')? (When I say swim in circles, I mean circle around to look for each other).

Thanks!
It starts with dive planning, on the surface, before you start the dive. I'm not talking about losing a buddy as that isn't the point of this thread, only asking if, rather than do you owe it to your buddy to end the dive when they are ready, do you expect it of your buddy to end a dive with you if you are clearly not in distress (indicated by those predive previously agreed upon signals). If I signal low on air and wave goodby, that tells my dive buddies that I am in control of the situation and am heading up. By previous agreement they know I don't expect them to end the dive with me. Buddy diving skills are a great idea but at any given time, even with the best of intentions you could be on your own. I wouldn't hesitate to end a dive on my own terms if conditions warrant doing so even if my dive buddy wasn't going to also end the dive.

Well no one has lost sight of anyone in this case. Signals for other things can be planned and agreed upon by buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom