Would You Recommend a Shearwater Peregrine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. Without a doubt. I picked up a Perdix AI last year. I think it was a great choice. AI was important to me, otherwise, I might have been a bit bummed when the Peregrine was announced.

The concern about glitches and bugs is typically founded, but not so much with Shearwater. As mentioned, the Pergrine and Perdix share firmware, so it’s been tested pretty thoroughly.

Shearwater also seems to offer support much longer than most. The Petrel 2 recently got an update, so support down the road will still be available.

Latest V81 fixes a couple of things for the Peregrine the Perdix did not have. They share a common base firmware but different hardware.

View attachment 631918

Shearwater isn't Apple, they don't have the money to create custom chips let alone a new one every couple of years, I am willing to bet that whatever (likely off the shelf) base chip they use is used across all their currently produced computers except the Teric. And the difference is things like the sensor chip that runs the compass, the AI chip, or whatever chips that they need to read CCR sensors through the cable.

Shearwater isn't Apple, they don't have the money to create custom chips let alone a new one every couple of years, I am willing to bet that whatever (likely off the shelf) base chip they use is used across all their currently produced computers except the Teric. And the difference is things like the sensor chip that runs the compass, the AI chip, or whatever chips that they need to read CCR sensors through the cable.

Well I don't own any Apple computers or phones so lucky me only stocks. I'd still recommend the Peregrine for the author of this thread.

I'm on team shearwater like a lot of scubaboard. They make great computers. Highly recommend. I love my Perdix.

Since you'll hear a lot of that from everyone, if you were looking for reasons NOT to get the Peregrine I can offer two:

1. Maybe you want something cheaper, a basic $200 computer will get the job done just fine for less money. Depends which features you value. You could buy yourself dinner and two redundant Leonardos for the price of a Peregrine.

2. Maybe you can spend more and want more features like AI. In that case get a Perdix or Teric. AI is great.

I started Shearwater completely recreational diver 7 years ago. Ton of research back then has proven to be the right move. That Petrel1 is the same as the Peregrine. Love it. Would recommend either.

I have since moved into the dark world of technical diving. Doesn't matter. The Shearwater is extremely user friendly for a novice. The tissue loading chart is a great teaching tool for a novice diver. You can actually understand why the residual nitrogen calculation does what it does. Trying to teach it, learn it from books or the net is one thing. To experience it, do a dive, see how the fast and slow tissues ramp up and down. Other computers hide that as part of the magic vail of how they work. Shearwater doesn't hide it, puts it on the platter right in front of you.

Odds are you won't need customer service. But if you do they are legendary. I inquired what material they used for the screen protectors so I could make a new one. They just asked for my address and sent a couple so I could replace the one I gawked.

I know shops that don't carry them, not enough profit margin. Not selling a computer at all is less than selling a Shearwater at low margin.

But even for the recreational computer that the Peregrine is marketed for, it is very capable. Couple years ago I was in Truk and one guy had a rebreather issue. Doing 5-tank, 3-gas, deep and long deco dives keeping up with the rebreathers. As much as he would liked to have had Helium, we didn't let him have any. Those dives could have been done on the Peregrine. At the upper limit of capability, but could be done. So there is room to grow even if you are not planning on it.

Another hint on Shearwater, look for used ones. For all of them out there, very few used ones are for sale. And when they are sold, usually asking near new pricing, they sell quick. There are a few times I swear I have seen them sell used for more than what they go for new.

If I was starting all over again, knowing what I know now, yes I would pick up a Peregrine.

Thanks, everyone, for your input! I just purchased the Peregrine and downloaded the updates. I'm sure it'll be a great performer on my next dive trip in 3 weeks.
Cheers!:)
Got mine Dec 11th and then dove 18 dives with it...you’ll really like the ease of use and the bright display! Changing from Nx 32 to 36 and back takes literally 3 seconds!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom