Would you stay away from a dive shop that had an accident?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP might be referring to his post on Monday

That's fake news. Many of not most divers are old and/or very out of shape and it's an activity pretty much anyone can do and learn easily. If diving was high risk, there would be many more accidents.

So we carry an extra second stage for no reason, many of us carry full backup breathing devices. We heavily filter and test the gasses for no reason. We often carry backups of everything else as well, according to you that's for no reason, not needed because you say it's not high risk.

The reality is diving is a very high risk activity. The reason there aren't more accidents is because only a small amount of the population does it and we carry redundancy in some often multiple forms.

So we carry an extra second stage for no reason, many of us carry full backup breathing devices. We heavily filter and test the gasses for no reason. We often carry backups of everything else as well, according to you that's for no reason, not needed because you say it's not high risk.
You can try to spin as much as you want. Diving is not a high risk sport, not even close. I guess some people wanna think it is, as it makes them look cooler when they tell people they're doing high risk stuff... in reality it's an activity that doesn't require a lot of skill and that's safe to do for an overweight grandma with their teenage grand kids.

That's fake news. Many of not most divers are old and/or very out of shape and it's an activity pretty much anyone can do and learn easily. If diving was high risk, there would be many more accidents.
Any sort of activity that requires you to carry your own personal ‘life support system’ = risk.

You are literally carrying the only thing that will keep you alive. (Minus the fact that a buddy should help you if reliable)

Tough question. I would say yes but it depends on the circumstances and the outcome.
If a diver gets sparated during the dive that is one thing. But if the boat leaves the site not realizing one diver is not on board, thats an all together different situation

You can try to spin as much as you want. Diving is not a high risk sport, not even close. I guess some people wanna think it is, as it makes them look cooler when they tell people they're doing high risk stuff... in reality it's an activity that doesn't require a lot of skill and that's safe to do for an overweight grandma with their teenage grand kids.

No spinning for me at all, just you.

After all mostly done in pairs for no reason, do pre checks on all gear for no reason, routine service of all gear for no reason. But go on with your false beliefs. Based on some of your other post I expect to hear about you in the accidents thread at some point.

Tough question. I would say yes but it depends on the circumstances and the outcome.
If a diver gets sparated during the dive that is one thing. But if the boat leaves the site not realizing one diver is not on board, thats an all together different situation

Even then very circumstantial. Was there a emergency requiring them to leave and then come back?

As with everything the devil is in the facts and details.

Any sort of activity that requires you to carry your own personal ‘life support system’ = risk.

You are literally carrying the only thing that will keep you alive. (Minus the fact that a buddy should help you if reliable)
By that view of risk, commercial airline travel is high risk. Hundreds of people are dependent on one life support system that must be operated properly by the crew, otherwise they all die. And yet most of us would consider air travel a low risk activity (because the support system is reliable when operated properly, and the operators are well trained).

That is a very generalized statement that certainly does not hold true for all types of diving. Cave. Deep deco dives. Deep wreck penetration etc etc for example

Back
Top Bottom