Would YOU thumb this dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, thumb it.

Surface, assess and repair, and assess gas and environment (at a minimum) and if all the boxes are checked, do the dive.

_R

So, shutting down your left post also cuts off your Drysuit inflation and SPG. (Assuming a typical setup). *you could have backup dual bladder BC...

I would not continue a 45m, deco dive under those conditions. I think you are asking for trouble. I tend to respect Murphy's law, and maybe my only superstition is that gear failures are somehow linked by cosmic interdependency. :wink:

I will also add, that (in your given scenario). I would have at least one of the 3-diver team slinging a stage/safety bottle. The more people in a "team", to higher the chance something me this can happen. An AL72 or AL80 with bottom mix should be easy to sling and might save your dive given such circumstances.
Have drysuit inflation cylinder and also have a lp hose on my stage as a backup.
Slinging a bottom stage is a good idea for a team dive.

I will reiterate my point. It is smart to recognize that nearly all of us hate to be "that guy" who thumbed the dive. Probably for any reason, but a gear failure is often preventable. We can pad our buddies ego until we are blue in the face, but we all know there is a line to be crossed. Where the occasional gear failure starts to shift you into a category of "unreliable". Not trying to create peer pressure to avoid calling a Dive, just recognizing what I see as "human nature".

That is why extra levels of redundancy should be planned whenever you are going to be in this type of scenarios. For my typical Dive profile, it means carrying a 4th light capable of being a backup for either of us. A multi person Dive team, going on a "dive of a lifetime"... dragging an extra sidemount stage is a small price to pay for "dive insurance".

o that you are not donating to anyone
I think you answered your own question. Dive is done. BUT not enough info is given. Is the dive 10 feet or 100 feet? And how long were you planning on diving; 5 min or 125 min? All these have a bearing but if one buddy cannot assist another, the dive is done in my book. This assumes I have a buddy who can actually act like a good buddy.

I think you answered your own question. Dive is done. BUT not enough info is given. Is the dive 10 feet or 100 feet? And how long were you planning on diving; 5 min or 125 min? All these have a bearing but if one buddy cannot assist another, the dive is done in my book. This assumes I have a buddy who can actually act like a good buddy.
Personally i would thumb the dive. I woukd feel like **** about it not for myself but for the rest of my team but yes i would thumb it.
I was onky asking as it came up over the weekend over a few pints between friends and there was a difference in opinion

If you can’t fix it, thumb it. You’re a compromised diver. If one of your pals has an issue and comes to you for gas you’re in quite the pickle.

Diving takes discipline.
I agree. This was not a post about what i have done or would do it was a topic that came up after a few beers

To be candid...

Team of 3 isn't in my training, so I'd likely notify my buddies and keep diving as the odd man out. (One who isn't donating a second reg)

Feathering a free flow reg is easy if necessary and given this is a hypothetical technical dive, I'm assuming my buddies are equally alert and able.

Depends on the situation and dive profile.

Cameron
Thanks for your reply. My aim was just to see what others view was. Personally i woukd have thumbed it but others i have spoken to would have carried the dive but before diving woukd have laid out what shoukd happen before descent

If I have a back gas reg failure at any point in a dive, the dive is over except for ascent and any required deco. This also applies to other things, too, such as a significant dry suit leak or torn glove in very cold water, loss of my first primary light in a hard overhead, or a computer failure. There will be other days to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom