Wow..It was an INTENSE Bonaire Experience!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverVince

Reaction score
Overlooking Winnipesaukee in NH and la isla bonita
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Sitting on our terrace this morning at 8:45 having just finished coffee and was planning the day's activities. Some guy was making some noise down by the dive storage area, so Nina got up to look and then noticed a pod of dolphin 50 yards south of Bellevue and moving north.

Well, it didn't take me long to grab a mask/snorkel, fly down the 3 flights of stairs (certainly no time to take an elevator!) and swim out the 25 yards to the drop off. I was out there in tops 2 mins! Unfortunately the pod which was moving south at approximately 3 knots so I just got to the tail end..

I then turned around and lo & behold a second pod was fast approaching. There were about 12 to 15 of them, some over 6 feet in length and some calves. They swam right by me! In fact one of the adults came right up to me to check me out!
Suffice it to say, it was an EXTREMELY exhilarating Bonairean experience!!

Didn't get a chance to do any diving yet as too busy doing maintenance. Expect to get out with scuba hopefully tomorrow.:D:D:D:D:D:D

Oh, what a wonderful opportunity! I have had two dolphin encounters, one on scuba and one just surface swimming, and they're magical.

Damn! Lucky you! We didn't see jack s**t last week in Bonaire as far as large sea life goes. Turtles, that's about it for larger sea life. (Which are my favorite critter...but still.) :mad:

Did any of the dolphins attempt to steal your gear? :)

Sounds like a great experience. Enjoy!

Did any of the dolphins attempt to steal your gear? :)

Sounds like a great experience. Enjoy!

Well CT now that you mention it...The big one approached me to keep me occupied & distracted. The baby calf then came from behind and tried to pick my pocket. But it wasn't a problem since I always snorkel with mace and a baseball bat. Be prepared for any and all potential perps is what I always say.. Don't let those dolphins fool you. The crime in the water around Bonaire is in fact rampant. (at least that's what I read)...:D:D:D

Sounds great. My friend spotted a pod in the distance on the surface on an '07 Bonaire trip; I'd like to see them close up, though!

Richard.

In @ 7 trips to Bonaire we've only seen dolphins once, and then from a boat. They didn't stay around long enough for us to enter the water at all, even in just mask and fins. Luck you!!!

Really big stuff is a rarity on Bonaire, but it does happen. A couple form our area encountered a whaleshark there a few years back, and it made the local news

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom