Wow - There's a lot of info here. Quick ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandrascuba

Contributor
Reaction score
I am a 57 year old female diver in relatively good shape. I take no meds and lead an active lifestyle. I have been trying to lose 5 pounds. I am 5'2 and weigh 117/average build. Last summer I lost about 20 pounds by ending hormone therapy. Yes, I still flash but exercise and good diet helps. I digress. I have maintained 117 for 9 months.

I have been unable to lose the last 5 pounds. I walk/trot on my treadmill every other day, going about 5 miles now. The treadmill says I'm burning around 675 calories/210 fat calories per session. This 5 miles takes me 96 minutes to complete as I'm only going about 3- 3.3 MPH. I love walking but have never enjoyed running. I do do a few short trots in my sessions but absolutely hate it.

My calorie intake is less than 1300 calories per day. My clothes are a little better fitting but not much and I've only lost 2.2 pounds. I've been at it for 3.5 weeks, beginning at 2 miles and increasing the distance every other day. What am I doing wrong - just impatient? Why won't this last 5 pounds come off? I am sooooo tired of salad!

One other question and this one is probably pretty dumb. I get blisters between my pinky toes and on the bottom of my toes. I've tried various socks under my tennis shoes, tried band-aiding them but nothing seems to help. Are my shoes too small? Too big? Too narrow? They feel comfortable for general walking, gardening, etc.

Sorry this is so long. I've read a bunch on this board and it's been helpful but a lot is too technical and confusing to me. Any simple answers for me?

Thanks.

Sandra

sandrascuba:
I've been at it for 3.5 weeks, beginning at 2 miles and increasing the distance every other day. What am I doing wrong - just impatient?
I suspect it took you a bit longer than 3.5 weeks to put the weight on. It's going to take a bit longer to work it all off too (safely). Hang in there.

sandrascuba:
Any simple answers for me?
I'm not an expert, but there are some on this board. The simple answer is that there are very few simple answers - but it IS a pretty simple equation: calories ingested minus calories burned = either a gain, a loss, or a draw. The devil is in the details.

I recommend you go talk to Cameron, who is also on this board. He's the shizzle:

http://www.divefitness.com/

If you want it bad enough, it will happen. Keep the faith.

You may actually be getting too few calories. The body has a way of storing fat when it thinks it is starving. Also chang up your routine. The body adapts to exercise very quickly. Increase your calcium intake (milk products are preferred), which based on your "other issue" you should probably do anyway. And why do you want to lose the 5#? If you are fit, and have a low body fat %, then don't sweat the scale.

Your BMI is well within the normal range...why do you feel you need to lose the extra 5 pounds? Sometimes our bodies just want to be at a certain weight and that's that. If your body is stablized at 117, it's probably happy there...let it stay there.

Otherwise, maybe try eating more that 1300 calories a day. That really isn't a lot of food, and perhaps your body is holding on to every ounce of fat it has, because it is not getting enough food.

Back
Top Bottom