Wrapping Umbilicals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tgalx3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Whats the name of the tape you use to wrap umbilicals. I know you dont use duck tape. Im suppose to be wrapping our umbilicals but I cant find the right tape for it.

iv'e seen a lot of duct tape, i don't know if any of it was gorilla brand(heavier weight). the wrap you're looking at might be old enough, you can't tell - grey/white and fiberous when old.

Last edited:
Gorilla tape left a crappy residue on the hose. I don't recommend it. We used it and regret it.

I didn't try it... but you may find that "GAFFER'S TAPE" might work well for umbilical. It's not cheap, but is what is used for movies, and sound guys love that tape for concerts (where I used to use it).

Amazon.com: Permacell Gaffer Tape 25 Yards x 2"- Black: Camera & Photo

I know duct tape leaves the glue on the hoses. Thats what I dont want. I actually found PVC tape. It works pretty well but its not the best to look at it though.

I know duct tape leaves the glue on the hoses. Thats what I dont want. I actually found PVC tape. It works pretty well but its not the best to look at it though.

I have never seen any tape that didn’t eventually break down and leave goo. It seems that the better the adhesive at longevity, the worse goo is left behind. The only thing I ever saw that held up besides the factory twisted umbilicals were in the Navy in the early 70s. Boatswain's mates with way too much time on their hands tied them with small line, periodically with decorative braids.

Divers Supply in LA. This where we purchase our umbilicals from. Whatever they are using has lasted years with plenty of abuse. Give them a call.

Gaffers tape is made so the adhesive does not dry out, ever. Makes really good HVAC ducting tape.

I'm with Akimbo, if you have the time, just whip the lines together with sail twine or any waxed thread.

Or buy candy cane umbilicles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom