Wreck diving: Connecting yourself to the Anchor line on descending/ascending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PDC is on inside/near top of my right forearm almost at my elbow. Never not readable with hand in any orientation as the elbow does not rotate on any axis unless you really roll a shoulder. Computer sits next to my wrist slate (lower forearm) which has alternate schedules on it (and I am left handed so I can write on it too). Been looking at mounting the PDC to the top card/page of the slate. SPG is on my left chest ring so I can read it without unclipping or even using my hand for that matter. I never did like the left hip clip point, and I don't like the un-clip/re-stow maneuver - just glance down. My tech instructor also rigs his SPG here too and was glad to see it wasn't just me. I predominantly use my right hand for riding up/down the anchor line sso my PDC is right in front of me, and using my left can dump my suit when I don't necessarily want to. With all that though, on a rough or high current day or with a lot of divers the Jon line is a blessing to get out of the way of the chaos when on stops. The one I have is on a snap to a chest ring, so I can go "all hands free" if needed (dealing with camera). YMMV

I wear my primary computer on my right wrist, so I can see it while operating my LP inflator. I keep it rolled towards the inside of my wrist, so that I can still see my depth if I'm performing a non-responsive diver rescue, which means being behind the diver and using my right hand to reach around and hold their reg in their mouth while reaching around with my left hand to operate their LP inflator (if possible) to control our ascent.

For me, I cannot imagine myself being in good horizontal trim, dumping air from my LPI, and being able to see my computer at the same time, if my computer were on my left wrist. I could only envision myself being able to see my left wrist if I went vertical or nearly so. And it would still be difficult unless my LP inflator hose were also unnecessarily long.

That said, I dive with 2 computers and put one on each arm, so I can conveniently see my depth on whichever arm is most convenient to look at.

I have never found it remotely bothersome to switch hands on the anchor line as I'm doing an ascent - even in NC or Saint Lawrence River current.

I got a couple of these 2 years ago. I think they were an LP Christmas special at $5 each at the time. I attach one to my camera and keep it clipped to my right waist D-ring. At some point during my ascent, I re-clip the quick release buckle and just let my camera hang. I never have to worry about dropping my camera. Meaning, I can drop it any time I want, since it won't go very far. With the QR unclipped, so the coil cord can extend, I never notice it pulling on my camera to make it uncomfortable to hold my camera out in front of me wherever I want it. I use one of these with my GoPro and another with my "real" camera rig with arms and 2 Z240 strobes.

36" Coil Lanyard

Thanks to all of you for the responses. A majority seem to suggest reorganizing my loadout, particularly the location/orientation of my dc. I will experiment with that, and pick up jon line when I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom