Wreck Leapfrog from Miller Lite to Clinton in 170' off Pompano Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Errol Kalayci

Contributor
Reaction score
My buddy and I played wreck leapfrog today by doing a dpv dive today in Pompano Beach, Florida. We planned to first drop on the Miller Lite (lays in 165’) and after spending 10 to 15 minutes, traverse across the bottom to the Clinton which lays in 170’. The current was sporty to the South and we had a hard to scootering against it to reach the Miller. Visibility was unusually poor and the water was in low 70’s which is cold as I was wearing a 7mm wetsuit waiting for a new DUI to arrive. There were tons of large amberjacks all over the wreck and a hogfish of about 10 pounds. After securing the reel with the torpedo float to the wreck, we spent 11 minutes visiting the wreck and being blown around whenever we were not in the shelter or inside. Freeing the line, we had a relatively quick 4 minute hammer down traverse to the Clinton which we did not have a renown bearing to follow other than mostly South and a bit East. We found the much bigger wreck (than the Miller Lite) and spent some quality time scootering the wreck. Time elapsed and we started our ascent. When we arrived at the 100’ stop, the water was noticeably warmer. Wish I could say everything went awesome, but our 3rd team member was Murphy who was not invited but drops in unexpectantly. Much unexpectedly and unavoidably went wrong through out this, however we were able to easily handle each situation without escalation or drama and our deco passed and we made it home on schedule and still had fun with more stories to laugh about now. In the future, I plan to lay some line between the various wrecks so others can experience the joy of wreck leapfrog. The software I ordered to enable me to have much better information before the dive, will greatly assist in this endeavor and I will be able to figure out how big of reels I will need. Murphy or not, it was still a great dive and the first time we jumped between those wrecks.
Errol

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom