Wreck of the RMS Rhone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Havn't been there since pre 911, but I'd like to try it again.

I stayed at the Long Bay Resort a couple of years ago, and there was a dive operator on site. I checked their website, and none was listed, but you might check with the resort directly.

I've done 8 dives at the Rhone over the past 4 years and discover new things on every dive. It is one of the best dive sites in the Caribbean, and it is also a very humbling experience, in my opinion. Here is an article I wrote about the 140th anniversary of its wreck: Traveltalkonline: The 140th anniversary of the Wreck of the Rhone

I dove it most recently this past Jan., but do not have the photos edited yet. I'm really looking forward to getting around to those, because I spent more time inside the wreck than I have ever spent on a single dive. I also took some photos of the cannon, an open hatch, the prop., and some other parts of the boat. Here is a dive I did there in Sept. that also included some time snorkeling. I swam to Salt Island and managed to get a couple of interesting shots of "Black Rock:" honeymoon2 : photos : BVI Virgin Gorda Scuba & Snorkel Wreck of the Rhone with DiveBVI- powered by SmugMug

I dove it 3 times in one day with the dive shop on Peter Island in Oct., 06, including the first time I took my camera on a night dive: honeymoon2 : photos : Peter Island Scuba 2006 Oct., Wreck of the Rhone- powered by SmugMug

Here is a really great photo of the entire bow taken by Jim and Odile Scheiner: Rainbow Visions - Prints - RMS Rhone - Bow The largest lobster I have ever seen on a dive was under the Rhone bow.

Here is a photo by Maurico Handler of the 16' propeller: Image Handler Archive

Here's a map of the site: http://www.redriderweb.com/bvi/images/rhone.gif

I highly recommend the Rhone, alashas

I did the Rhone in early December. It is still a great dive. This was my 3rd or 4th dive on the wreck over the years, and this time, thanks to DiveBVI, I learned more about the ship and the events leading up to her sinking then I did in all the other visits. The DM's on the dive spent the entire time using there dive slates to point out special features and History.
I was staying at Little Dix, but DiveBVI has several locations throughout the islands and probably can pick you up almost anywhere. Good Luck. DD

Hi - I dove it in 11/06. Great dive and I would recommend it. Can't remember the dive op tho, sorry. :confused:

I will be there next month. Anyone want to recommend a dive op for the Rhone? I am staying at Long Bay Beach Resort.

We stayed at Long Bay and dove with Dive Tortola. We were very happy with them. Have a good trip. I'm jealous!

An excellent documentary by Armando Jenik of the R.M.S. Rhone is available at: OnlineBVI.net - Video Hosting for the British Virgin Islands   THE R.M.S. RHONE

I first dove the Rhone in the early 60's and dove it probably 2-300 times in the 80's and this is probably the best video stuff I have ever seen about the Rhone. Last dive was just as exciting as the first, always see something new or different.

Thanks for sharing the video link. I really enjoyed that and especially appreciated seeing Ralph the giant Jewfish. I've dove the Rhone several times and had heard about him but wasn't fortunate enough to see Ralph. Someone told me a diver shot him a few years back. Anybody know if that's true or what really happened to him?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom