Wreck Penetration Training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was thoroughly dissappointed to find out that PADI wreck specialization does not have penetration! What the hell! They would give me a wreck diver certification for going NEAR a wreck??? This is the biggest joke I have ever come across. I wanna ditch PADI and go somewhere else?

Any world recognized organizations that teach wreck penetration?

PADI Wreck Spec has penetration as an option for the 4th dive but you can opt not to do the 4th dive as penetration. The optional penetration dive involves use of reel/line, penetration in light zone max 40m (vertically and horizontally) from the surface. If you do that optional dive, you remain trained only to dive in similar conditions in relation to penetration. Beyond this level of penetration, you are right you will need to look elsewhere for training.

But since PADI doesn't require the instructor teaching the wreck specialty to have any training or experience in an overhead environment I'm not sure that you want to go in a wrexck with them anyway.

SeaHound:
I was thoroughly dissappointed to find out that PADI wreck specialization does not have penetration! What the hell! They would give me a wreck diver certification for going NEAR a wreck??? This is the biggest joke I have ever come across. I wanna ditch PADI and go somewhere else?

NAUI Tec and GUE come to mind for doing penetration training, both cave and wrecks. I will note that the recreational arm of NAUI also has a wreck certification that is external survey only. Properly taught it is more than just going near the wreck.

Another side note, the kind of classes you are referring to as a joke are the kinds of classes that the general diving public has asked for and recieved.

SeaHound:

Padi has a cavern cert. that's the only overhead that they do.I recommend the NSS-CDS cavern course to learn the basics of overhead. after that ,progressive penatration and common sense will get you to were you want to be.

SeaHound:

Yes.

PADI can.

As Verona has stated, it is optional on the 4th dive of the specialty. Standards state that student/instructor ratio is 2:1, is limited to the 130' recreational limit for depth PLUS distance of penetration (60' depth, 70' penetration for example) and may not extend past the light zone.

Anything more than that would constitue a technical dive, and if this is what you are after, then there are technical agencies that will be glad to show you the proper procedures for extended range.....

Hope this helps....

Randy Cain

TDI offers wreck & advanced wreck classes. For the advance; advanced nitrox & deco cert is highly reccomended.

tndiveinstruct1:
Yes.

PADI can.

As Verona has stated, it is optional on the 4th dive of the specialty. Standards state that student/instructor ratio is 2:1, is limited to the 130' recreational limit for depth PLUS distance of penetration (60' depth, 70' penetration for example) and may not extend past the light zone.

Anything more than that would constitue a technical dive, and if this is what you are after, then there are technical agencies that will be glad to show you the proper procedures for extended range.....

Hope this helps....

Randy Cain
I can only talk from the dives I've done, but if your at 130 ,tie in a line, penatrate 70 feet, reel in a line . I'm pretty sure you are past the 7 min NDL and are now into some minor deco obligation. Not to mention that the gas management issues involved. there's alot more to overhead penatration than the average OW diver is ready for , and if I'm not mistaken,any overhead is concidered tech and needs to be planned as a tech dive. Good luck

You are right, if you want to dive the doria or the Brittannic, the PADI course really doesnt cut it... but you have to remember Seahound, that the PADI wreck course is a recreational course that has remained unchanged since beforemost of the technincal agencies started teaching technical peneteration.

It basically teaches the recreational diver, how to enjoy wreck diving without getting themselves into an area where technical diving techniques would be reauired. Many diveable wrecks dont even have penatratable areas which is why it is optional.

The advice you have recieved on the board is good. If you want technical wreck divier training, you need a serious overhead environment course which you wont find in any of the recreational agencies.

novadiver:
I can only talk from the dives I've done, but if your at 130 ,tie in a line, penatrate 70 feet, reel in a line . I'm pretty sure you are past the 7 min NDL and are now into some minor deco obligation. Not to mention that the gas management issues involved. there's alot more to overhead penatration than the average OW diver is ready for , and if I'm not mistaken,any overhead is concidered tech and needs to be planned as a tech dive. Good luck

I think tndiveinstruct1 meant 60' depth and 70' penetration, not 130' depth, which is within PADI limitations.

We did a PADI Wreck specialty that did include penetration to those standards and within the light zone. We tied off our own reels, which we were required to have, then blew our own bags, which we were also required to have. These weren't PADI requirements, they were our instructor's requirements for his particular course. We had the option of doing the wreck specialty with another LDS and instructor, but, like your course, there was no penetration, and it didn't include reels and bags. It's the instructor, not PADI. PADI sets the basic standards, the instructor has to meet those, but can add beyond that.

Back
Top Bottom