Wreck Valley Compromised!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
wreckvalley.com was hacked this Wednesday 7/6.

Ben is in the process of restoring the site now. I have all the files for the main site, so that will be recovered. Unfortunately, though, some of the backups were destroyed, so the gallery and the message board may not be recoverable.

Keep an eye on this thread or our home page for updates.

In the meantime if you had any critical threads, such as trips for this weekend, I'd suggest starting a new thread here, or if one already exists, post any updates there.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Ben is busting his *** to get us back up ASAP. He even blew off a day of diving today!!!

I think Ben said it came from Russia. Someone hacked into the board, and from there they were able to access the server, and just started deleting stuff.

Ben could tell you more specifically what happened since I'm more of the design and animation geek. He handles the server, all the backend, the board, and the gallery.

But he's been working on it all day, even as I post this.

The gallery has been lost, and it looks like most if not all of the message board will be lost too.

grunzster:
I think Ben said it came from Russia.
VT got his Russian Mafia buddies to delete all my posts!! :eyebrow:

As for the gallery etc.. dont you guys have backups?

We did have backups. They were done via a dirrect copy over NFS to another server behind the firewall. The hacker(s) loaded a script through a vulnerability in phpbb. This script allowed them to exicute commands at the shell level on the server. They deleted all files for the forum, gallery, webpage, backup directories, and most of the server configuration files. They then told the server to reboot. This locked up the box totaly. So far I have done the following:

1)Completly reinstalled the OS from the ground up.
2)Setup the back up strategy to use a pull from another server as apposed to a copy across NFS.
3)Mail services and forwarders are up and running.
4)The gallery script is reinstalled. Although I need to create all new logins for everyone who wants to upload images. (Please PM me here or e-mail me)
5) Web services are working.

I still need to reinstall the forum and hopefully recover the SQL database. All the files are there, but it seems that there was an SQL injection that is not allowing me to access the data correctly. I am working on this as I post this.

Take care,
Ben

Sorry to hear that Ben. That really sucks. Good luck.

Ben, and all who are working on this.
Thank you, I realized today how addicted I am to WVD.
Your diligence has gone unrecognized for to long!
What king of beer do you drink???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom