Wreck Valley Compromised!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good news. All the posts to the forum are still there and are o.k. The bad news is that as of now the forum script (with the mods we have installed) does not work. If I put a clean version of the forum in place it can read the database without any problems. Worst case, we loose the mods untill I can add them back in one by one. I am going to continue to work on repairing the moded forum so that we have the board the way we are used too.

But what I want to know is...WHY? like...why the **** would anyone hack WVD? what did our club do to them? Theyre in RUSSIA for christs sake!!! Come the **** on...

-Matt

Matt,
It had NOTHING to do with WVD. It was the software we were running for the forum. More than likely someone just did a search for the version we are running and found it. Then took advantage of the exploit in the software to allow them to do this. The good news is the new version (as well as the upgrade which i will apply when I get the forum fixed) prevent this. There is no saying that the people that did this live in Russia. The IP addresses they came from trace back to Russia. For all I know they could be sitting down the street and are using hacked machines in Russia.

On another note. If you uploaded pictures to the gallery and would like to resubmit them please PM and I can setup your logins. I will need your name, login you want, and an e-mail address.
Back to work!
Take care,
Ben

ben, you are a champ. i don't get the why part either. did someone think new york beat moscow for the 2012 olympics? whoever did it deserves the worst punishment such as sending him on a dive with an OMS bungee wing (= certain death, as we all know).

Good morning. I just wanted to let everyone know that the Wreck Valley Forum as it was know was beyond repair. However, the forum http://wreckvalley.com/forum is up and running again. Without a loss of any threads or users. Unfortunetly, we do not have a lot of the mods we are used to installed right now. I will begin installing them one at a time and testing to ensure they will work properly with the forum. I will do my best to get this board back to the way we are used to seeing it.

The mail forwarders as well as the web page are restored and working properly as of last night.

I am sorry to say that http://gallery.wreckvalley.com is totally lost. We are going to work dilligently to recreate the gallery as it was before, but we will need your help. If you had uploaded images to the gallery, please let me know tht you need a login. Provide me with your name, login you want, and your e-mail. I will set this up for you.
Take care,
Ben

I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to Ben and Chris and all who continue to work so hard to get the Wreck Valley site up and running. "You don't miss the water til the well runs dry..."

Not sure if this will be of any interest but this is an email I recieved last week from my web host regarding phpBB. It seems that they've given up on it totally...

----- Original Message -----
To: <notifications-noreply@lunarpages.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 02, 2005 1:12 PM
Subject: phpBB Security Issues

phpBB, a popular third party script Lunarpages offers through Fantastico as
a convenience to our customers, has recently been exploited numerous times.
Although the developers have been diligent in fixing the exploits, the
frequency in which they occur and the amount of time it takes to manually
make the upgrades causes customers to become frustrated. Lunarpages must
protect the servers from these exploits so must ensure our customers
continually have the most secure version of the board. Unfortunately, the
severity of these exploits gives little time for customers to make the
necessary upgrades. We sympathize with this and have come up with a
solution we feel would be beneficial.

After a lot of research, we have determined that SMF forums are more secure
and easier to keep up to date. Lunarpages is highly recommending customers
change from phpBB to SMF forums. We have created a step by step FAQ article
on how this can be done. You can find this here:
http://helpdesk.lunarpages.com/faq.php?do=article&articleid=349. We have
had feedback from several customers regarding the ease of this process so
are confident this will not be difficult. However, if you need assistance,
please see our forums at http://lunarforums.com where staff, moderators and
other customers can assist you. If you feel you do not want to modify your
board yourself, we can assist you with this. We usually charge $75.00 per
hour for script installations however, for a limited time we will upgrade
your existing phpBB board to SMF for a flat fee of $19.99. If you would
like us to do this for you, please email support@lunarpages.com with your
username, last 4 digits of the credit card on your account and authorization
to charge your card. Please specify that you want to convert your board to
SMF.

Customers who want to continue using phpBB are certainly welcome to do so.
However, it is imperative that upgrades occur as necessary and in a timely
fashion. phpBB needs to be upgraded to version, 2.0.16. For more
information on this, please see
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=302011. We are currently running
a check on the servers for older versions. Customers who have not yet
upgraded will be notified and will have 24 hours to upgrade. If you do not
upgrade your phpBB board to version 2.0.16 we will have to disable the
forum. We apologize for the small amount of time given but the severity of
the exploit has made this necessary. We will also extend the offer of
reducing the cost of script installs to $19.99 for customers who do not want
to upgrade their boards themselves. If you would like us to do this for
you, please email support@lunarpages.com with your username, last 4 digits
of the credit card on your account and authorization to charge your card.
Please specify that you want to upgrade your phpBB to the most secure
version.

Thank you for your cooperation in ensuring your account is secure. We have
staff working 24/7 to assist you, so please feel free to email us at
support@lunarpages.com if you have any questions or concerns regarding this
issue or if you would like us to make the necessary changes. Please do not
forget we also have our community forums at http://lunarforums.com where
staff, moderators and customers can assist you also.

Thank you,
Lunarpages Support

Good luck, Ben! Always a problem with these junior wankers that test out virus dispersion tools. I hate having to rebuilt systems. Nothing ever quite works the same.

Jack

hambleto:
We did have backups. They were done via a dirrect copy over NFS to another server behind the firewall. The hacker(s) loaded a script through a vulnerability in phpbb. This script allowed them to exicute commands at the shell level on the server. They deleted all files for the forum, gallery, webpage, backup directories, and most of the server configuration files. They then told the server to reboot. This locked up the box totaly. So far I have done the following:

1)Completly reinstalled the OS from the ground up.
2)Setup the back up strategy to use a pull from another server as apposed to a copy across NFS.
3)Mail services and forwarders are up and running.
4)The gallery script is reinstalled. Although I need to create all new logins for everyone who wants to upload images. (Please PM me here or e-mail me)
5) Web services are working.

I still need to reinstall the forum and hopefully recover the SQL database. All the files are there, but it seems that there was an SQL injection that is not allowing me to access the data correctly. I am working on this as I post this.

Take care,
Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom