Wrecked Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree. Public opinion can easily change the situation.

A more pertinent question is what do you see?

Attachments

• P9280008-3.jpg
    P9280008-3.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8155-2.gif
    IMG_8155-2.gif
    112.3 KB · Views: 65
  • P9280014.jpg
    P9280014.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 91
I see that the tiller arm is still damp, it has not started to check or crack yet. It did not come out of the water at the same time the mast did. We have two events in which structural portions of shipwreck have come to the surface. Divers and the archaeological record are the looser’s if this becomes a trend.
Might be a good idea to put the tiller back in the water with the mast.

Depends who you ask. I could say parts of a boat.. or hunks of wood. I don't know the age or significance of those items. How old are they, does the ship they come from represent something of significance? Could they be handled in a better way? The more I know about that, the more informed my feelings about the pictures will be.

But call me a bunch of names and see how much I care about your concerns.

I'm only offering the suggestion that your approach may take away from your intention. Right now half the comments on this forum are about you, not the wood. They should all be about the wood. You want the focus to be on what the townspeople are doing, not on what you are doing. If they can marginalize you, they marginalize your concern.

Take it for what it's worth.

You have to remember that to date Port Dover has given us both the Atlantic shipwreck trial and Bill 13 and now this? The other 99.99% of the Province does not have the kind of shipwreck issues Port Dover does. Is name calling or just calling a spade a spade? It is our collective tax dollars that pay for these Port Dover guys with all the shipwreck problems who just can't get it together The divers and tax payers of Ontario would be better off if the mast stayed up and the town sank.

If we had a buck for every treat of litigation the Ministry has made to divers in the province we could buy an operate free ride dive charter boats in every port. Where are they now, absent and impotent.

Last edited:
Do you mean the trial where Mike Fletcher (Port Dover) tries to maintain Canadian control over a Canadian shipwreck for preservation and museum purposes as opposed to American interests that want to salvage and sell at auction? Bill 13 the safe school anti bullying act? Is this just a personal rant to make yourself feel better or is there a point.

Again, muddying the water. What specifically can you say about that mast and tiller handle that will convince someone they are worth preserving properly? That's what's important.

opps sorry that is a Canadian thing I may have assumed that everyone was familiar with it. There is a good article on the Atlantic at Archaeology

and the bill 13 I am referring to is at:
Legislative Assembly of Ontario. Committee Transcript. Issue number: G027 - Wed 11 Oct 2000 / Mer 11 oct 2000

---------- Post added May 20th, 2015 at 06:33 PM ----------

One thing for sure, public opinion and a couple of internet posts can make a rudder tiller arm disappear of a museum lawn faster than Houdini. There were a few other treasures there and it is all gone clean as a whistle.

Reading the first argument of the transcript describes my feelings of the wrecks quite closely. Now if there were artifacts on the front lawn of a museum that were taken, that's illegal and unethical. I have quite a few tales to tell but they won't change anyone's feelings on the matter.

No I don't think it happened that way. In my view the museum curator errored in accepting and promoting the removal of artifacts, in this case structural components from archaeological sites, shipwrecks. When called on it they got rid of the evidence, kind of like a thief whipping away finger prints.

It may not have been pleasant but that part of the problem was dealt with effectively achieving the desired outcome with a coupe of caustic posts no new legislation, no law enforcement no cost to the tax payer ad no one lost her job this time. I do no think the same mistake will be made a second time.

Last edited:
And the mast . . .

Well that is kind of like when your mom and dad told you that they had taken your old dog Shep to live with some nice people on a beautiful farm with green rolling fields and a nice dog house under a shady tree. Then you found that cardboard box in the trunk full of ash . . .

The prognosis is not good. Usually these things are left lying around and end up cut up with a chain saw and burned. There is not much you can do about it; you can try getting the harbour master to lean on him about leaving his rotting catch of the day lying around but I would recommend against it.

I do not know the skipper but some say you can tell a lot about man by the tools of his trade. The Iron Fish is in fact one of the nicest boats in the place. When you think about the cost of a fishery, not just the boat but ice machines, packing facilities on the shore station you are looking easily at a million dollar operation.

This is most definitely not a drunk punk on a jet ski. I think some of those inland water Captains are some of the best Captains in the world. If your ever down there when the boats come in it is quite a thing to see, 65', 80', 100' foot boats, often single screw and these guys dock them as easily as you park a Honda.

Very often these Captains go to some place like George Brown for school. They are taught what they need to know about navigation, the Canada Shipping Act etc., He will know that there is a duality under the law. I am not an internet tough guy and I will tell you straight up that this is the kind of guy that I would give a lot of respect to and you better believe it would be yes sir no sir and is right now soon enough, on his boat. All he has to do to be 100% legal is notify the Receiver of Wreck of his intent to salvage, and he does not have to do it right away. If he goes that way he can cut it up and make Friday the 13th souvenirs out of it in the end.

It is his call. The best thing to do is wait and rely on him as a reasonable man. Word will soon made it’s way to him that the best thing to do was put it back in the water. The main thing was to stop the problem at the museum.

Bottom line is outside of unfriending him on facebook there is not much you can do. However, being Port Dover, you can rely on one half of the town fighting with the other half of the town over it for years. I am an anthropologist and an optimistic. The side that wears shoes usually wins.

Attachments

• PA020038.gif
    PA020038.gif
    108.2 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom