Wrecks in Freeport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone know of any good wrecks to dive in Freeport. This would be my first. Also any dive operators that you can suggest that do this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Battery Hole 20ft 45 min
Etheridge Wreck 60ft 40 min
Shark Junction 50ft 42 min
Rose Garden 52ft 37 min
Theo's Wreck 100ft 20 min
Arrow Point 65ft 40 min
Picasso's Gallery 52ft 37 min
Tunnels-West 59ft 37 min
Orson Wells Wreck 52ft 44 min
Jose Wreck 46ft 47 min
Spid City 50ft 40 min
Treasure Reef 14ft 41 min
Pygmy Caves 76ft 39 min
Spid City 51ft 40 min
Jose Wreck 49ft 45 min
Shark Alley 52ft 45 min

I dove with UNEXSCO and Carribean Divers

Freeport has many wrecks, with Theo's & Sea Star being the most popular.

I second Carlcz's response. All the sites he kists are good ones. I've only used UNEXSO while in Freeport (Port Lucaya) and highly recomend them.

I always dive withGrand Bahama Scuba. Nice boat, great Crew, Personalized service.

Best wrecks are Duncan's (Seastar II) and Theo's. Also check out LaRose.

My favorite reefs are Plate Reef, Pygmy Caves,

Silver reef is shallow, but one of the prettiest reefs there.

Hey Persephone, if you haven't already decided on your trip yet, you might think about some shallower dives with wrecks on them. I can see that you may be a new diver, so welcome! There are many wrecks in the Freeport area, all of which are only a 15 -20 min ride out from Port Lucaya.
If you are an Open Water diver newly certified with less than 20 dives, you should dive the 'Papa Doc' Wreck, 45 ft deep, which has a cute tug boat called the 'Badger' on it, very easy and you can even peek into the wheel house, even go inside if your buoyancy is good. The Sea Star and Theo's Wreck are deep dives over 80 ft, which may be great once you find yourself comfortable enough, and are keen to take the Open Water Advanced course and do your next level up.
Slightly deeper at 60-80ft is La Rose which is truly splendid with 3 decks to explore, and with a guide/instructor these wrecks are worth a visit.
Like G'Diddy mentioned there are several operators, Unexso, GB Scuba, Caribbean, and you have a great choice of places to stay in Port Lucaya area, close to the hub.
I work for the first operator I mentioned so I am a little biased, but good luck and have fun!

Eddyunderwater :snorkel:

It turns out that I just booked in Freeport (Jan 29-Feb5) and am trying to set up dives with UNEXSO.
They sent me the following info:
"...We usually go out daily for a 2 tank dive ($99) at 9:00am and a 1 tank dive ($59) at 2:30pm. Usually our 2 tank dive is a deep 60-80ft dive on the first dive and a medium 40-60ft dive on the second dive except for Tuesdays and Fridays we usually go to Theo’s or Sea Star which are wrecks in about 110ft of water on the first dive and then a 40-60ft dive on the second dive. The 2tank dive is offered daily. We also offer a dolphin dive ($219) at 9:00am on Wednesday and Saturday. The shark dive ($99) is offered at 2:30pm on Monday, Wednesdays and Saturdays. If we have enough people we will do a night dive ($79) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. All dives have to meet the minimum of (4) in order for dives to go out and we take a maximum of 16. All dives include your weights and tank/s..."

I always dive withGrand Bahama Scuba. Nice boat, great Crew, Personalized service.

Best wrecks are Duncan's (Seastar II) and Theo's. Also check out LaRose.

My favorite reefs are Plate Reef, Pygmy Caves,

Silver reef is shallow, but one of the prettiest reefs there.

+1 for Grand Bahama Scuba; Fred Rieger has over 15000 dives, and Melinda over 3000; I enjoyed it tremendously.
FWIW - my non diving/won't get wet wife went with us to Shark Junction and watched from the boat; she was so comfortable w/ Fred and Melinda that she is insisting that I take both daughters there for OW certification.

KevinL

:shocked2:carlcz
Unexso will be a good opp for you as they run a operation that caters to travel divers,with a fancy shop and instructors that will keep a eye on you diving within your range.
The Island dose have several dive boats/ opps that run smaller boats and post daily wreck dives on site or at the shop,but will cater to your specific need's.
depending were your staying try to get a place near or at were you plan to dive with cab's are not cheap some shop's offer free pick up,some hotels have the shop and boat on site or across the street.
If your doing Unexso then Port Lucya is were I would stay like the Our Lucaya or a bit less$$ Reef Village,or one of the many more places to stay at.

In closing I personally do not like Unexso due to their inhumane and un ethical treatment of the dolphins on the island:depressed: and this is only my opinion being a visitor to Grand Bahamas since the late 60's to present.
Just my 2 cents

thanks for the replies guys! I decided on Caribbean divers which will go to Theos wreck on the day my cruise ship is in port. Then it is over to Nassau for Stuart Coves Shark dive the next day. Can't wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom