Wrecks in the Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Rick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Lots of wreck info in various threads, but specific question for those that have been to the area:

I really want to dive the Thistlegorm. However, is it really worth it or are there better wrecks in the Red Sea with better overall itineraries?

TIA

I absolutely and whole heartedly recommend that wreck for a visit. Itineraries vary from one operation to another, so I can’t help you with that aspect of your query without more information regarding your plans. The wreck itself, its’ cargo, encrustation, and marine life is exceptional, and all in shallow enough water to allow for reasonably lengthy bottom times for visitors using single cylinders as provided by most dive operations in the area. LOBs are my preferred means of access. Only downside is that the site is EXTREMELY popular and at times can be horribly overcrowded with divers from 10 or more mored vessels.

Attachments

• Kulick-15-11-04-046.jpg
    Kulick-15-11-04-046.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 49
I absolutely and whole heartedly recommend that wreck for a visit. Itineraries vary from one operation to another, so I can’t help you with that aspect of your query without more information regarding your plans. The wreck itself, its’ cargo, encrustation, and marine life is exceptional, and all in shallow enough water to allow for reasonably lengthy bottom times for visitors using single cylinders as provided by most dive operations in the area. LOBs are my preferred means of access. Only downside is that the site is EXTREMELY popular and at times can be horribly overcrowded with divers from 10 or more mored vessels.
Thank you!
Exactly what I needed to know.
Cheers.

Lots of wreck info in various threads, but specific question for those that have been to the area:

I really want to dive the Thistlegorm. However, is it really worth it or are there better wrecks in the Red Sea with better overall itineraries?

TIA

The Thislegorm is well worth a visit even if, like myself, you're not big into wrecks. I would advise doing so from a liveaboard rather than a day boat and preferably off-season (best to avoid the busy summer months).

Please note that that it is a very large wreck and you will likely need at least two dives to see all the more interesting bits. If you are uncomfortable diving inside (easy to penetrate) wrecks, it's possibly not worth the hassle, as you need to go inside to enjoy the many artefacts & cargo.

Here's a link to a Thistlegorm dive briefing from a January liveabord a couple of years ago, if you'd like to download and watch it (careful: it's a LARGE file):

The Abu Nuhas area has a cluster of interesting wrecks and, if on a liveaboard, it's easier to find one where there won't be many/any other boats.

Up in Nabq there is a the wreck of the Million Hope, just north of Tiran, which doesn't get a lot of attention but I personally rather like.

Hope this helps.

Thanks folks. Exactly what I needed to know. Hitting Red Sea for the first time, and needed to narrow down the live aboard choices. This makes it easy, only ones that go to the Thistlegorm!

Am I allowed to say that I was disappointed the first time I dived on the Thistlegorm?

Before going there I had spent a few weeks in Cyprus diving the Zenobia, on that trip to Cyprus at times our group of three were often the only people on the huge wreck. I had heard how good the Thistlegorm is, so had very high hopes.

The first time I dived on the Thistlegorm was by day boat from Sharm, we had a really early start, got to the Thistlegorm at the same time as all the other day boats (this was back in early 2000's when it was very busy) on the dive it was very much a long queue of divers all following the same route around the boat, lots of waiting around as other divers made their way through doorways and the like. I seemed to see more diver than wreck. I wasn't really bothered about going back.

Since then I have visited the wreck several times by liveaboard, and really enjoy every dive on the old girl. Generally there are less divers in the water as liveaboards have a bit more flexibility on their dive times. The more you discover about the wreck the more interesting it becomes. Hopefully I will be going back this summer and my kids will get to dive it for the first time. The ship is slowly disintegrating, so I now view ever dive on her as special.

Before you go it is worth a read of 'SS Thistlegorm: WW2's Greatest Shipwreck' by John Kean. It certainly brings the story of the ship to life.

Here is a quick video I put together the last time I was there

I do enjoy the wrecks at Abu Nuhas as well, all of those are worth a visit too.

SS Thistlegorm: WW2's Greatest Shipwreck' by John Kean

What an expensive book, $105 for a used book!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom