Wrecks in tobermory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since this thread is not in the United States of Canukistan forum, I thought I’d axe about this here.

This pops up on Comcrap Cable as a screen saver. I am too old and have no desire to buy a dry suit, and I think there’s not a clear cover of ice here, but seeing no palm trees, I’m not going.

Serious part, now:

is this anywhere near where you shoobies go Cuba divin?

0FFCCAAF-880F-4E8B-AFC6-F0114294F726.jpeg

It is within driving distance...I think.
It was within driving distance from Atlanta, relative to how cool those wooden wrecks were.

@Stoo is the resident expert on Toby wrecks and areas to dive since he has a cottage in Toby (which he refers to on FB as Squalor Holler). 🤣😁

@Stoo is the resident expert on Toby wrecks and areas to dive since he has a cottage in Toby (which he refers to on FB as Squalor Holler). 🤣😁
Whaddaya want?

Ya, I more or less live in Tobermory in the summer....

That pic is at an area known as the Grotto... Very touristy in the summer but still a cool place to dive. Boat access only unless you're (a) 20 and (b) dumb. Don't ask me how I know...

Regarding some of the other questions here...

Yes, DD is the only shop in town. They're busy and operate up to eight boats. I don't think it's fair to characterize them as a "cattle boat" operation. The max they can take on any of their boats is 12 I think, but I see them leaving daily with 4, 6 or 8 divers, especially during the week. Walk-ons are generally "majority decides", subject to weather etc.

We do have lots of wrecks here, but it's the water and topside scenery too. Think total package. There's also some great, more technical diving, an hour down the road. Logistics there are more complicated. Contact Fully Tec Charters for their trips to Manasoo and Jones.

Personally, I think the best conditions are found late spring. It's cold (39 - 42 typically) but vis can be upwards of 100' easily. Basically just like the Caribbean minus the warmth. Summer is warmer up top, but town becomes very busy. Fall is awesome diving, but the wind starts to blow about Sept 5 and doesn't stop until May. Boats stop running after our Thanksgiving, which is early October.

If you are coming up and need accommodation, it's not too early to book for summer now. Lot's of hotels/motels/cabins/camping and private rentals (like my place!)

There are many images of the area on my website (in my signature... )

Feel free to post questions here, or DM me!

we had been told at the shop we were good to go to dive the arabia. we double checked with the captain before leaving the dock. then once we were loaded and out on the water. we were informed we would not be diving the arabia. we were told it was too rough. it really was not that bad. i have been in far worse conditions on the ocean.
it was pretty obvious they did not want to cancel at the dock. everyone would have left and they would have made no money that day. instead they had a boat with a handful of pissed off divers.
A couple of things about this (I wasn't there that day of course, but generally)... First, conditions in town don't reflect what's going on on the lake. I suspect that about 30% of the time, our plans change once we get out on the lake. Last weekend, there was a strong SE wind. Looking out from the harbour, the lake was like a pond. But the Arabia had 5 footers rolling over it, Forest City was likely worse.

Second, if this was a "walk-on" charter, the abilities of the divers on board is largely unknown. I think DD requires an Advanced OW cert to dive there, but we all understand that that card doesn't mean squat anymore. Since you mentioned Arabia, I can tell you that there are days when the current there is absolutely ripping. A Captain is responsible for his/her passengers' safety above all. These folks know the water better than you do. They're also the ones that are going to get sued when stuff goes sideways. Given the average diver is about 50, overweight, and out of shape, I trust you can understand their concern. Having a site called is disappointing, but for a truly messed up day, try hauling a dead guy on to the deck... And shipwrecks aren't going anywhere.

I can't speak to the people on your boat, but I doubt they were all "pissed off". Most divers just want to dive and the smart ones defer to a local expert when it comes to choosing a site. That isn't unique to Tobermory, I assure you.

it actually is a fun dive site.... "The Grotto".
In addition to the Grotto itself, I published some photos earlier this year of "Baggy Pants Cavern" which is a fun little cave about 150 yards east...
New Grotto _Panorama © 1.jpg

In addition to the Grotto itself, I published some photos earlier this year of "Baggy Pants Cavern" which is a fun little cave about 150 yards east...
Corey took us there... was nice!

And you didn't sink! Awesome! ;-)
It was shortly after that when the "Under Sea View" got it's moniker... (Bender still owes me a keyboard for that comment)....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom