Wrinkles April '05 Dive, BBQ and Campout planning thread - Leo Carrillo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to hear that you all had fun. I attempted to dive here locally in Laguna both on Saturday and Sunday after dropping my son off, but conditions were BAD!!! High surf, swells, and major surge. Viz was reported 4' at best. We opted for breakfast instead, to live another day, and to hope for better viz.

mccabejc:
Geesh, I just took a look at the visual satellite photo for yesterday (when the ocean at Leo was brown soup), and now I see why:

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/...005099/AERONET_La_Jolla.2005099.aqua.250m.jpg

Looks like there was similar soup all up and down the coast.

Sorry to hear you guys had soup, that's been the case at a lot of places. Runoff + upwelling. No soup at Marineland today though, nice blue water.

It was nice to put a face with some more screen names and see some familiar faces as well.
Thanks Christian for the 0 viz training dive :D. I'm glad I was with someone as experienced as you. Even though we were not under for long, I wrote quite a bit about the dive in my log. It was a very good learning experience.

Phil

TeqP:
It was nice to put a face with some more screen names and see some familiar faces as well.
Thanks Christian for the 0 viz training dive :D. I'm glad I was with someone as experienced as you. Even though we were not under for long, I wrote quite a bit about the dive in my log. It was a very good learning experience.

Phil

I am so glad that I made it. I learned so much and had great dives! Thanks Everyone! I can't wait for the next one :dazzler1:

Thomas

Thanks to our wonderful ScubaBoard SoCal Kelp Divers community, I had a great time this weekend at the April Winkles dive at Leo Carrillo campground.
I wasn't sure that camping and diving actually went together, but now I'm hooked and can't wait for the next time! Campfires, s'mores, cold beer and good-enough wine, STARS!, 1 minute drive to the dive site, hot showers, BLUE skies, frog songs at night and birds all day....it was a sensory delight! Yeah, I cheated and slept on an air mattress, but I popped out of the tent ready to dive each morning. Secret to Dive/Camping: a heavy duty rack to hang wetsuits afterwards. Thanks to Myrna and Jim for showing us the way!.
The Saturday dive: Diving's always an exploration, and Saturday was no exception. We kicked out in high wind to the brown-water-turns-to-green line, hoping for the best. Viz got up to 3 or 4 feet, but it was nothing but sand that far out from the cove at tower 2. So, back in toward the reef and kelp, which had 1 to 3 foot viz. Enough to see lobster, lots of invertebrates on the rocks, (Spanish shawls!) and get GREAT practice at navigation and buddy communication. Carlos helped make it so easy I didn't realize until later how challenging it had been, with high current, brown to occassionally black viz, 48-50 F temp, and plenty of structure to discover with parts of your body other than your eyes. And we came up smiling because just getting to explore around underwater is always a blast! And there were all these cool friends waiting back at the campground so we couldn't lose. Smiles from Christian, TeqP, Captain Marvel, TechAdmin, and RossJC, said that ALL the divers took the conditions in stride and made it part of the weekend full of fun. The afternoon and evening at the campground was perfect California paradise...nobody pinch me, 'cause If I was dreaming I don't want to know. Perfect sunset lit the cliffs gold, and we toasted marshmallows and laughed for hours. The wind died Saturday afternoon, so we went to bed late but optimistic for morning dives
The Sunday Dives: Still air, warm blue sky, and ScubaInspired arriving early to say, "let's go diving!" He and I volunteered as guinea pigs to splash in and report back. It was an easy kick over glassy green to the outer edge of the visible kelp, but dropping down brought us to 1 foot viz and a brown snow storm of debris at the bottom. It only made sense to head away from shore, so we tapped-tapped long and found a tall vertical wall blocking our path....beats the heck out of sand! We rose up from 32fsw to see that we had found a deeply crennulated reef with 4 or 5 pinnacles rising 12 feet off the bottom, and the viz got up to 5 feet once we rose off the bottom. This was GREAT!!! We both had lights, the rock was stuffed with critters and fish, and we could see each other enough to work our way over and around all parts of this big pinnacle! Spanish shawls and eggs, Giant feather duster worms, huge anemones, sheets of sponges in orange, gray, and brown, rock fish, garibaldi, painted greenlings, ghost gobies, brittle stars, orange ball sponges, little lobster, giant keyhole limpets, rock shrimp, chesnut cowries. We worked that pinnacle for all it was worth, knowing this was IT! Our needle in a haystack. And we had a great time, even with 50 degree water. It was still glassy when we surfaced. After a fun surface interval at the campground with bunches of wonderful friends, we hit it again. Headhunter and PeterMacGuiness lead the way across the still glassy water to the outer kelp line. Unfortunately, viz had deteriorated to a steady brown snow storm. ScubaInspired and I found some cleaner (3-4 foot viz?) water around several nice pinnacles stuffed with cool fish and invertebrates. The E-ticket surge had us drift-diving a good 6 feet back and forth where the current accelerated next to walls and crevices, but we both know how to relax and enjoy, so all was fun. When I grabbed a rock to look at a ling cod, the surge swept me horizontal and I fluttered like a flag in a windstorm until it let me go. You can't buy this kind of entertainment!! I put my hand down on the murky bottom, only to have the "sand" leap up and bolt off, as 14 inches of outraged halibut hurtled away. It was like stumbling around in a carnival fun house wondering what was going to happen next. 45 minutes left us both pretty numb but laughing as we headed back to camp and hot food from the grill. Camping and diving go together perfectly when all the right people show up to make it great. My son, Jacques, said it was the best camping trip ever with the nicest people. Yeah, what he said!!
Thank you, one and all, for three days of continuous fun!
See you May 7th in La Jolla!
Claudette

HBDiveGirl:
I had a great time this weekend
I like what you said, "Rule No.1, have a good time". Let'z make it the first and the last rule.

HBDiveGirl:
but now I'm hooked and can't wait for the next time!
you just made me feel so lucky living around here. I don't mind doing it more often. Next time I may try that 7 miles hike to meet up with you guys :D

HBDiveGirl:
Campfires, s'mores, cold beer and good-enough wine,
What about that famous Claudette's brownies plus cold :beer_yum: before lunch? :yippie17:

People made it in from as far as San Diego and Santa Barbara for this month's Wrinkles dive.

Although the conditions underwater were less than stellar, it was great to see everyone having such a good time with the camping portion of the weekend after our zero vis training dives each day.

Aside from the wind kicking up a bit on Friday, the weather was absolutely gorgeous for the rest of the weekend, which made us all feel beter about the low vis. Saturday night was spent around the campfire with just a slight breeze. Perfect for telling "tales of the deep!"

Leo Carrillo is a great camping facility. The sites are beautifully maintained and where else can you count on having tiled bathrooms with hot showers that are very well cleaned daily. They even have a General Store where you can buy any supplies that you may have forgotten including beer and wine!

The next Wrinkes Dive will be in La Jolla on Saturday, May 7th. Remember to mark it on your calendars for another great day of fun!

I'll be putting up a planning thread in the SoCal Trips and Local Marketplace forum shortly. I'll also be moving all of the past Wrinkles planning threads (including this one) into that forum, so that they are easier to reference in the future.

Thanks to everyone that attended this month's Wrinkles Dive. It's because of all of you that this was such a fantastic weekend!

Christian

desert camel:
I like what you said, "Rule No.1, have a good time". Let'z make it the first and the last rule.
OK...it's done! First Rule of Diving: Have a good time. Second rule: See rule #1.
desert camel:
What about that famous Claudette's brownies plus cold :beer_yum: before lunch? :yippie17:
Thanks...Glad you liked the brownies. Thanks to sb_diver for introducing us all to the cosmic beauty of beer and brownies as a perfect appetizer before lunch. Who knew??? Mid-day beer was a good consolation prize for enduring poor viz and ending the dive-day at lunch. More brownies on May 7th! I'm hoping the viz in La Jolla gives us good reasons to NOT have beer until MUCH later in the day...See you there...
Claudette

Back
Top Bottom