Wrinkles April '07 Dive, BBQ and Campout Planning Thread - Leo Carrillo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Lee Ann,
What time were you guys there? Claudette, Brian & I were there at 8 AM & got one dive in to do two core transects. It wasn't too bad getting in & out but we surfaced in the middle of the kelp & had to kelp crawl out, that was ruff. The vis was only 6 to 9 ft.

John

John, we were lazy yesterday and didn't hit the beach until midday. Which we'd planned based on the tide profile -- the tide was coming in at that time, so we thought the vis would be a bit better (fresh water coming in...isn't that how it works?) Anyway, I suspect that the wave heights were increasing over the course of the day -- according to wavecast, they weren't nearly that big on Saturday, but the WNW swell had increased to 7+ by midday Sunday! And sure 'nuff that's what we saw. Even if we could have gotten through those waves, we figured the vis would suck.

Where did you go in the water? At the cove? At the north parking lot? How was the reef situation?

We were at the No. parking lot & the reef is healthy but the fish were hiding until the survey was over than they came out. The kelp is getting real thick again.

John

Allright :)

Christian, is the RSVP count of 9 still accurate? Just looking to know how many packs of buns n stuff I need to get. I guess I'll see who wants to buddy up with the orange shovel / tank banger / snorkel / scumball / pigsticker / tank wrap / splitfin having noob on saturday morning ;-)

(and feel free to laugh at me because I look like a dork!)

On another note, anyone up for an afternoon dive thursday or a morning dive friday in SD? Got a client I have to visit for a few hours and the rest of the day to kill...

It's not looking good for Saturday. I just saw the weather report, and Fritz Coleman says that there is a high surf warning for the entire coast, from Ventura to OC, until 2AM on Saturday. 5-10 foot breakers, with some sets up to 25 feet! OUCH! Given that the warning is supposed to be in effect until early Saturday, that doesn't bode well for being able to get underwater later that day. THBBBTTTT!!!!

Unless there's a sharp turnaround in conditions, I'm gonna have to bail.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm EVER gonna get wet again. (Yeah I know, I have the all the patience of a small child...hey, it's been a MONTH!) :bored2:

Leejnd:
THBBBTTTT!!!!

Yeah, I thought the high surf advisory ended today... apparently not, says mother nature.

This does not look good :-(

looks like the surf may diminish by Sat, 4 to 6 is doable depending on energy, but doesn't do much for vis. So I might just bring my surfboard, just in case, lol.

LeeAnne, any chance ur gonna check it out tomorrow and advise? No point in driving up there if we can't dive.

Jesster:
looks like the surf may diminish by Sat, 4 to 6 is doable depending on energy, but doesn't do much for vis. So I might just bring my surfboard, just in case, lol.

LeeAnne, any chance ur gonna check it out tomorrow and advise? No point in driving up there if we can't dive.
No, I don't think we're going to be heading down anywhere near there. And we're going to bail on Saturday...the reports are just looking too rough. After the last time we got maytagged at Leo Carrillo, we're just a bit leery of the big swells these days.

And I see next month's Wrinkles is down in La Jolla, which is a bit too far for us...so we'll have to catch up with y'all next time you come up this way! Too bad...I was looking forward to it. :(

Well...traditionally the Wrinkles Dives have become a time for people to get together whether or not the conditons were good enough to dive. It's a great time for people new to the community to come out and meet other people to dive with and it's always good to meet people that come in from out of town. Most of the time conditions have been good even if the predictions say anything to the contrary. Of course, sometimes the predictions come true.

The social aspect of having divers come together has become as central to this event as the diving.

On more than one occasion, I've made the trek to La Jolla only to find out the conditions were less than favorable. I've always been glad that I went because of the wonderful people that I've gotten to visit with.

For what it's worth, the high surf advisory that I just read was in effect until Friday 10pm PDT. The same report said that surf would begin to subside on Friday morning.

More often than not, I've shown up when people said it would be bad and had a great day of diving. Many of you have been with me when that happened. I've found that the best way to find out what it will be like is to show up.

I'll be there regardless of what the reports say. :crafty:

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom