Wrinkles January '06 Dive Planning Thread - La Jolla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is going to be fun!!! I am looking forward to it. Missy, it will be great to see you again, I hope to learn some tips on Nudi shots. Uh...well, uh...U know what I mean. LOL

Dr. Bill, maybe I can find another Finescale Trigger Fish for you! So far, I have spotted FOUR!

John, that would be great if you can roust your kids as well. Hopefully my BF will be able to join us too, and bring his as well.

Oh...and did someone mention CHOCOLATE??? LOL Bring it ON! ;o)

Sounds like a blast, I can't wait to meet and dive with everyone.

I'll bring the BBQ equipment coals, lighter fluid, tongs, spatulas.

Glycerin:
Sounds like a blast, I can't wait to meet and dive with everyone.

I'll bring the BBQ equipment coals, lighter fluid, tongs, spatulas.

Cool! Looking forward to meeting you Glycerin.

John

Headhunter,

None of the LDS in San Diego fill Nitrox. I was told Dive Pro moved out to Santee but no one has a number or address.

Underwater Schools of America in Oceanside fills Nitrox.
225 Brooks St.
(760) 722-7826
(877) 896-3483

By the time you drive there and back your SI will have been long enough to dive the Andrea Doria.

dpbishop:
Headhunter,

None of the LDS in San Diego fill Nitrox. I was told Dive Pro moved out to Santee but no one has a number or address.
Wow! It's hard to believe that NONE of the shops in San Diego fill Nitrox (or Trimix I imagine).

Maybe someone from the San Diego tech diving crowd can let us know where they get their fills.

I'll change the first post to reflect that San Diego is an "air only" towne if no one gives us a place where you can get more than air.

Anyone know where to get Nitrox in San Diego?

Thanks.

Christian

headhunter:

Thanks.

Christian

This won't be much help, but I've always gotten my Nitrox fills at Camp Pendleton's Scuba Center.. So if you have access to the base, you can swing by there since it's on the way to La Jolla...
I don't know who else fills Nitrox.. (besides USA Scuba in O'side).

headhunter:
Wow! It's hard to believe that NONE of the shops in San Diego fill Nitrox (or Trimix I imagine).

Maybe someone from the San Diego tech diving crowd can let us know where they get their fills.

I'll change the first post to reflect that San Diego is an "air only" towne if no one gives us a place where you can get more than air.

Thanks.

Christian
It's not San Diego but I do know that Rick's Diving Locker in Escondido do nitrox fills. This may not be very helpful for a wrinkles dive of course since Escondido is in North County, and anyway they may not be doing nitrox on the weekend.

It is probably worth contacting Marc Hall about nitrox; I know he is a proponent of nitrox use and almost certainly has access to a range of mixed gasses. (I know you lurk on this board, Marc; please feel free to respond).

On the other hand, it may be that nitrox is not beneficial for the type of diving which is common at the shores. It is typically cold and deep, in which case extended bottom times are either not desirable or not possible on nitrox.

Either way, I am sure that a great day of diving is possible on a 21% mix (and it looks like I will be able to attend!)

Peter

Peter McGuinness:
On the other hand, it may be that nitrox is not beneficial for the type of diving which is common at the shores. It is typically cold and deep, in which case extended bottom times are either not desirable or not possible on nitrox.
Peter

Peter, if folks are going to be doing multiple dives, then that is probably the reason for wanting to dive Nitrox, not necessarily for all dives. When I was in Cozumel, I made 4 sometimes 5 dives in a day. I always used Nitrox on my second dive to decrease the amount of Nitrogen residual.

Re Nitrox fills in San Diego, I know there is a shop near the Convention Center that does Nitrox Fills. I can't recall the name, but I will ask John. We usually
stay at the hotel across the street during John's Wreck Weekends.

Can't wait to see everyone! Hard to believe it's only a couple of weeks away and hopefully, our big surf will be low again.

Ouch! It looks like I probably won't make it (again). I'm scheduled to do some of my DM pool work on the mainland the following weekend so it doesn't make much financial sense to go over two weekends in a row.

Back
Top Bottom