Wrinkles November Dive 11-21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey,
I am glad that I joined you guys, even if just for 1 dive. Pizza and beer after the dives was a great idea too!

Hey, do any of you know what's Eric's name on the board? He was taking a bunch of pictures of my dive so I would like to get a hold of him.

Thanks

sapphire:
You missed all the fun, Stacy! Call my cell next time :)!!

jennifer

I am sorry I missed it! I assumed with the amount of rain and wind that it would be too dirty/rough to dive, and that the party would have broken by the time I made it. I ended up doing some much needed holiday shopping, so it was good anyway. I got done things that really needed to be done, but I am sorry I missed yet another wrinkles dive.

divebrasil:
Hey,
I am glad that I joined you guys, even if just for 1 dive. Pizza and beer after the dives was a great idea too!

Hey, do any of you know what's Eric's name on the board? He was taking a bunch of pictures of my dive so I would like to get a hold of him.

Thanks

Eric is Rouky on the board :)

Talk him into posting the photos!!

Jennifer

Ann Marie:
It was another wonderful Wrinkle's Dive! Thanks to everyone for making it such a great day. George, thanks for being my buddy. Glad to see that all made it home okay. DrJet, how were YOU able to wake up so early??? :eyebrow:
You are so right, Ann Marie! It was a delightful honor to meet ALL of you...Thanks for a great day.
Thanks, divinman for the terrific photos. Thanks for the whole dawn patrol team for making the memorable AM dive happen...you guys and gals are Dive Animals!!
Thanks Ana and Ann Marie for the welcoming warm hugs...can't wait to dive with you again.
Carlos and I cranked the car heater to max and laughingly relived ALL the unbelievably fun parts of the day:
...actually going in the rainy dark, finding you all at the cliffs, getting joyfully swept up in the decision to "GO", super viz at deadmans reef, muffins and coffee from shivering fingers, dropping Right down on Picnic Beach reefs, smelling Roger's hamburgers as we exited, worshipping the heater at the dive shop while filling tanks, laughing more with all of you wonderful people, swooping through the Mermaid grotto surge ride (wheeeee!), pumpkin cake and chicken wings, and a golden sunset lighting up new friends. WOW!
So, where and when for December???
Ciao,
Claudette :07:

Wha..what, you mean like the November Wrinkles Dive is over already? You'll have to avoid the confusion, the whole event is still going full speed ahead in my head. :wink: What a great time, great dives and great people. Thanks to all the coordinators, contributors and participants, it was wonderful!

John-Boy

What can I say? It was a great day of diving and a lot warmer in the ocean than on shore. It was biting cold when we arrived at 0600 a.m. But with the warmth of a great group, who cares, it was fun.

Special thanks to the grill master Roger and his family for their continued dedication in providing us with hot food. It was much appreciated on a very cold day.

A special warm welcome to the new participants in the Wrinkles Dive.
dazedone:
How were the conditions today at Laguna? I was in Avalon with my family (not diving) and the waves were slamming the rocks at the bottom of the stairs.
Welcome to the Santa Ana Wind rule. When the Santa Ana winds blow, go diving on the mainland. The wind will knock the waves down and particularly on the third day we often have lake conditions with awesome visibility. Naturally, the winds are therefore making large waves and lousy visibility in Catalina. Conditions were great in Laguna. It was fun to swim out and while looking back at shore see waves coming AT us, yes, waves moving out to sea from the Santa Ana winds.

Now by popular request the recipe for Pumpkin Pie Cake:

Ingredients for pumpkin mixture:
1 large can Pumpkin (2 cups)
1 Large (12oz) can Evaporated milk
3 eggs, beaten
3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt

Ingredients for topping.
1 package yellow cake mix
1 ½ cubes melted butter or margarine
½ cup chopped nuts

Beat al of the above and pour into 13x9 inch ungreased pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture. Drizzle melted butter (or margine) over cake mix and sprinkle nuts on top.
Bake 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until pumpkin is set. The cake will make its way to the bottom of the pan during the cooking process.

Serve warm or cold, whipped cream optional.

It was definitely a great day! Those who didn't show missed some great diving and some even better SoCal comradery.

The air temp was 44 degrees when I got there at 6:15 am and the wind was strong enought to have knocked down some pretty big trees and cause a power outage. I'm sorry I missed the great vis at Deadman's, but that air temp just SCREAMED "go to breakfast with Ann Marie, snakedr, drjet, Jdog & Robert Phillips and dive when it warms up a bit!" After breakfast it did warm up to around 60 degrees and the wind died down considerably. That breakfast provided me with the fuel to stay warm for the rest of the day. :crafty:

Thanks to Robert Phillips for being my buddy on the first dive and to Scot M for being my buddy on the second dive. We had a good dives with the first one going from Diver's Cove to Fisherman's Cove and the second going from Diver's Cove around the bend toward Fisherman's and back. On both dives the vis at Divers was around 20 feet and the vis at Fisherman's dropped to about 10 feet. At the end of the second dive vis dropped to about 5 feet when we got to about 14 feet. We were going to look for the bat rays at about 10 feet, but the surge got pretty strong along with the bad vis, so we surfaced and swam back in.

Special thanks go out to Roger and his family for taking care of the cooking and scaring the seagulls away from the food - AGAIN! You guys are great and it's always a pleasure to see you.

I was up for a night dive, but everyone was really ready for a visit to Gina's Pizza, so off to dinner we went. I'm glad I didn't miss that one! Very entertaining! :eyebrow:

Of course, I enjoyed seeing everybody that I already knew and meeting those that I didn't know. It was a nice surprise to finally get to meet Tech Admin! What a cool guy! I hope he'll come back to another Wrinkles Dive after the barrage of questions that started with, "So... how do I?"

I have no idea what I'm doing in that picture that Terry got of me!

Maybe I'm catching my hat from blowing off in the wind. I might be telling the story about when I grabbed that Great White Shark by the fin to climb on his back and how I waved my hat in the air when that "sea bronco" took me for a little ride! :D

Of course, I'm open to any other interpretations. Just remember. Never let the facts get in the way of a good story! :wink:

I look forward to seeing each and every one of you again soon.

Christian

pasley:
Now by popular request the recipe for Pumpkin Pie Cake:
This was definitely a tasty treat! I'm glad I got to try it.

Christian

HBDiveGirl:
You are so right, Ann Marie! It was a delightful honor to meet ALL of you...Thanks for a great day.

So, where and when for December???
Ciao,
Claudette :07:

(Note - this was also posted in the dive reports thread) - I think Malibu would be a good choice. Between Malibu road, Point Dume, and Leo there are at least 7 good dives. Parking is very easy. I believe there are showers and bathrooms at Point dume and Leo. Lots of good night dive locations. No big hiking up and down hills. We could also set up base at a grassy park and shuttle to dive sites. What does everyone else think?

It's a little bit of a far drive for san diego people, I sort of feel bad about that though, maybe they would like a closer spot, like PV.

Another issue is dive shops - there is only 1, Malibu divers, and their compressor is a little slow, maybe we could work out a group tank rental with them so we don't have to refill.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom