Wrist computer, watch style for my son and I (new divers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark290

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My son and I got OW cert over the summer. Just got back
from diving in St Thomas and St Marten. We want wrist dive
computers that are a watch style. Want to keep it under $250,
nitrox capable and be able to change batteries ourselves. We live in
Wilmington, NC. So we will be diving in NC but also FL. and
Caribbean.

I found:

Oceanic Geo (old style) for $249 at LeisurePro & Divers Supply

Aeris Manta (2008 model) for $234 at Divers Supply

Mares Nemo for $198 at Joe Diver America & Scuba Toys

Are the Aeris Manta and Oceanic Geo the same computer ?

If I gave enough info which of these three would
you recommend and why ?

Any other ones I missed that I should consider ?

Thanks

how do intend to monitor tank presure. it is sure noce to have the computer do it. whether hose or hoseless. i use a hoseless aeris t3. much more computer price than you a re looking at. however there are others that are much cheeper aned perhaps you can get a good deal on ebay. im not sure i am qualified to comment because i have never used a non air integrated computer. i will say theat you need to look at the display size and see if it has the most common needed info on the mail screen. you WILL forget which alternate screen you need to get some data. as you did not go diving to stare at a computer. the data should be what you need with little manipulation so you can watch fish or mernmaids. i have never had problems with liesurepro, joe diver ot divers supply. many aeris and oceanic are the same puter with slightly data lay out diffreences. they are the same company, for all practical purposes. battery changing is not a real problem. my battery lasts a couple of years. real cheep to have the shop do it for you. unless you are hard set on a wrist unit. a hosed unit may be more functional for you. exapmple my aeris tells me how much time i have left at depth based on the lesser time of o2 sat n2 sat ndc or AIR IN THE TANK. my unit also tells me which one is putting the time limit on me ndc/o/n/psi. there is a lot that tank presure can aid in as far as info displayed.

i would also suggest you look at "demos" this is a code word for used or open box. display item. some manufacturers do not allow price reduction on new items. so they open the box and it is no longer new.

i got my 1000 dollar t3 for 600 and it was brand new in an unopened box.

soooooo you could get a demo 500 dollar integrated computer for perhaps 1/2 -2/3 msrp. i did not like my hose integrated (aeris ai) with the compas on it. made me swim circles. large display though.

hope this helps

Last edited:
The Suunto range are worth considering, very simple, range of prices/functionality, very popular

Hi mark290,

I'm partial to the Pelagic Pressure Systems decompression algorithm used in Aeris, Oceanic, Hollis... It is on the liberal end of the spectrum whereas Suunto is generally considered at the conservative end. The 2008 style Manta and Geo appear to be good deals.

Best of luck, good diving, Craig

...... Are the Aeris Manta and Oceanic Geo the same computer ?......

YES

Early next year we will add them to our simulator and we will have have online specialty classes for both of them

AM

Thanks for the quick replies.

Since the Geo and Manta are the same computer
is there any reason I should get one over the other ?
How about purchasing from Leisure Pro or Divers Supply,
any preference ?

Thanks

Hi mark290

I've only owned Oceanic but don't think a reason to differentiate. DS will have factory warranty, LP has their own warranty. Scuba.com (also factory) has both old style computers at same price you listed above. My preference for item like computer is factory warranty but many don't care. I've had some great service from Oceanic like very inexpensive trade up (after warranty expired) that I may not have gotten without the factory tie.

Good puchases and good diving, Craig

LP is an authorized Oceanic dealer and does come with a factory warrenty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom