Wrist Dive Computer or Console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got both a wrist computer and a console computer. I typically dive with both.

I like the wrist computer better. It's just easier to see and take a "quick glance at".

I too have both and dive both. My wrist computer is not AI though. I know people that dive them and love them. I personally prefer to have my air measurement device attached to my tank (just a current quirk of mine). It is one less thing that can go wrong because IMO the wireless function is more likely to fail than a hose. I dive with people that have wrist computers and an SPG....it really all boils down to what you want. Neither choice is wrong. If you would prefer the luxury of having everything on your wrist, buy an AI wrist computer and a console for your back-up.

If cost is a factor, then you can get some good and inexpensive computers (as LetterBoy linked to in your other thread) and a console and be off to the races.

I moved the my computer from the console to the inside of my wrist, and find it much more convenient to read at a glance. A "puck style" guage wrist mount is available from Scuba Toys for @$15, that can hold many computers.
On the console I replaced it with an analog DG , as I like a basic level of redundancy. At some time I will probably replace it with another computer, but it's not a priority.

The ONLY advantage of having the computer in a console that I can think of is the fact that, if you have your regulator (without which you are unlikely to dive) you have your computer. Other than that, I see only negatives.

To watch your gauge on ascent, you have to hold it. To vent your BC, you have to have a hand on your inflator or dump valve. If you are in current and also need to hang onto the upline, you're short a hand, there. If you're managing an SMB on ascent, life gets much more complicated.

Having your gauge on your wrist means you can reference it constantly, regardless of what else you may be doing with your hands. And I think this is particularly important for newer divers, who are more likely to miss the environmental cues that tell them what's happening to their depth. Diving walls, for example, it's easy to drift slowly downward; doing ascents, it's easy to move up too fast.

If the kids are absent-minded, then clip their wrist gauges to their BCs when you pack, and check to make sure they're clipped to the BCs or put back in the dive bin before you leave the site.

I don't use air-integration, because checking my gas every five to ten minutes is not that onerous. My husband uses a transmitter on his Vytech, and it's a temperamental beast, and not nearly reliable enough to justify the money, to me.

I used to have wrist mount instruments, I moved to an air integrated Suunto Cobra with compass. I like having everything in one place and not dealing with putting on and taking off wrist mounts.

You know your stooges the best.

I've known a lot more folks to leave behind the ole C-Card before leaving being the computer.

There are a lot of advantages to a wrist mount computer as have been pointed out. I feel the only advantage to the consul is that it is part of your regulator system.

My question would be if the stooges aren't responsible enough to keep track of a very important piece of equipment, such as a dive computer, are they responsible enough to dive?

Frankly, if you're afraid for them loosing their computers, get them cheap computers. LP has the Oceanic Veo 100 for $150. It is a basic computer. If the stooges can gain your trust, they can upgrade later. Then they have a backup computer.

Good luck.

There will not likely be any consensus on this matter, since personal preferences with gear will often vary considerably from one diver to the next. The best advice is to dive in the way that for you is comfortable, safe, and enjoyable, whether that means computer on wrist, computer on console, or no computer at all.

There will not likely be any consensus on this matter, since personal preferences with gear will often vary considerably from one diver to the next. The best advice is to dive in the way that for you is comfortable, safe, and enjoyable, whether that means computer on wrist, computer on console, or no computer at all.

I have never used a console computer. My first computer was a wrist model, which was in a backpack that was stolen only 5 months after I got it. I replaced it with a hose mount. That was 8 years and more than 3,000 dives ago.

90% of my dives I have my hands full; strobe camera system, large slate, and dragging newbies through caverns in current and surge. We are just talking about recreational diving, right? If it is just warm water diving shouldn't you be able to swim up on ascent with empty BC?

I can move it between both my reg sets, if there is a failure and I have to use a rental it moves, it doesn't cost $900...

I think this has been answered, but my opinion is I like to have things that only fail on their own. a friend has one of these integrated console gizmos and in the 35 or so dives I have done with him and his wife, they have failed at least 3 seperate times that I knew of. sucks to lose everything, time, depth, computer(tables), air all at once.

If your stooges cant track it all then carry it for them, I have a bag that goes on the plane that has all the computers, regulators, small camera, log book and other small details that I cant be without. weighs about 70# but they do not weigh carry on. :eyebrow:

IMO go with the wrist mount, be happy and most important dive happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom