Wrist Mounted Slate DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghrousseau

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is a wrist mounted slate appropriate for DIR gear configuration or should one only have wet notes and tables/run times in your pockets? I failed to ask this question in my DIR-F class, so I am asking it now.

Thank you.

ghrousseau:
Is a wrist mounted slate appropriate for DIR gear configuration or should one only have wet notes and tables/run times in your pockets? I failed to ask this question in my DIR-F class, so I am asking it now.

Thank you.

Oh, are you going to get hammered tomorrow for this one ;-)

I wonder who gh's instructor was... :eyebrow:

Could Marc have simply forgotten to cover this info in class? :11: :D :D

Christian

edit: changed Mike to Marc!

Marc was my instructor and I can't remember if the question came up. No one in the class or on the instructor team used a wrist slate. When our instructor went through everyone's gear, no one had a wrist slate to get rid of, so to speak. We did discuss wet notes in the pockets for writing down run times, rock bottom tank factors, communicating, ect. I am assuming by the tone of responses that it's not DIR and could be considered an entanglement hazard! Anyway..........my rating is still provisional so I'm sure Marc will straighten me out on this one.

Thank you!

I guess it could be an entanglement hazard :) . I beleive wet notes are preferred because they are easy to write on, you can hand them to other people to read or write on (as opposed to your arm!), you can tear them off and attach them to things, and they stow away nicely. I'm sure there are probably other reasons, but this is my understanding... :)

Tollie:
Wet notes in a pocket on your wet/dry suit are the way to go.

entanglement for the wrist slate and room on your arm for it are problems as I see it.

i agree. keep this on your thigh pockets

i have a wrist mounted slate with a couple of pages it is common to use them over here in europe (tech divers love them)i got mine from www.beaverdiving.com

skippy77:
i have a wrist mounted slate with a couple of pages it is common to use them over here in europe (tech divers love them)
I find Wetnotes (or similar) to be much more useful than a wrist slate - more space to write, plus the surface is better suited for the purpose (flat vs curved). Not to mention that the newer U/W notebooks have replaceable pages and extra pockets for other items - you can literally load it on a case-by-case basis with whatever "dive-specific" stuff that you need for each particular dive. That seems a lot more useful to me than a slate.

The only time during a dive that you absolutely need a slate is during deco, when you check your decompression schedule. You may also need it during the dive for communication that cannot be handled easily via hand and/or light signals - in my experience, this is a rare occurrence, especially among people who dive together often.

So why wear something in a location (outside and exposed on your wrist) where it can possibly fall off or become entangled, when you can clip it off in a pocket (and out of the way) until you actually need it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom