Wrist Slate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mrs.Prages

Contributor
Reaction score
What are the thoughts on the wrist slates that are on the market now? I have been thinking about purchasing one, but I have questions about there real usefulness especially for me.

I am not the smallest girl in the world, but my wrist and forearm are certainly not huge and I worry that the slate would just be useless and too big for me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject.

My wrist is about 6 1/2 inches circumference and my forearm is about 9 1/2 inches. That's without wetsuit.

Thanks

Paula

I have my slate in the pocket on my right thigh. I need the space on my forearms for watch, compass, and depth gauge.

I bought one and like it. Only negative comment would be that the one I purchased came in a "3-layer" style and it doesn't work very well that way. I peeled off the outer curved slate and use that one alone. I'm left handed so I wear it on the right wrist. Good thing too because I wear my computer on the other wrist.

Sad note though ...on the way home from our recent dive trip the slate got broken in my luggage. My suggestion to others would be to store your wrist slate in a hard box while traveling.

'Slogger

paula, try taking off the biggest one & leaving the other two. mel & i tried bobby's last year in ginnie, and it was HUGE! but he got one for her & took off the biggest & that seems to work.

I wear my compass on my right wrist and my gauges are snap locked on my bcd, my watch is small and I think lengthwise it would fit on my left arm, I just worry about the curve being to big.

If I peel off the top layer is that curve small enough and than does that leave the other layers for other divers to use?

Mrs.Prages:
What are the thoughts on the wrist slates that are on the market now? I have been thinking about purchasing one, but I have questions about there real usefulness especially for me.

I am not the smallest girl in the world, but my wrist and forearm are certainly not huge and I worry that the slate would just be useless and too big for me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject.

My wrist is about 6 1/2 inches circumference and my forearm is about 9 1/2 inches. That's without wetsuit.

Thanks

Paula

Your forearm is about the same size as my wife and she has no problem, size wise, with the standard wrist slates. She's moving away from the wrist slate and now carries a QII mini slate, but that has more to do the fact that she's not got the forearm length room for the slate, compass, on the same side as the wrist slate ends to farr up her forearm to be easily written on while wearing a 7 mm suit.

BabyDuck:
paula, try taking off the biggest one & leaving the other two. mel & i tried bobby's last year in ginnie, and it was HUGE! but he got one for her & took off the biggest & that seems to work.

Thanks Marci and everyone else. That is the exact kind of info I was looking for.

I got one of these last year. Didn't like it being flat; so I heated it up in the oven until it softened, then curved it over, I think, a wine bottle.

I find the slate very useful; I've got rather thin wrists, and don't even notice it's there. I wear a dive watch on the same wrist. See avatar.

Only annoyance is, it's difficult to write on a convex surface...

--Marek

Hi Mrs P,
I wear a small (3"x4" - I think) flat, slate on my forearm. It's useful for making my own notes, but a bit limited for communications. Hard to write "small" underwater. I've just bought the "deluxe dive-rite" slate (6x4" with 6 spiral-bound "sheets" )to keep in my BC pocket...or clipped off somewhere - not decided exactly where yet.

One snag - literally - is that if I forget and put the slate on before my BC, it does snag on the BC straps. Not a major problem, just an pain sometimes.

One thing that I've done with my wrist slate, and will do with my new slate, is to put some shiny metallic tape on the one (next to forearm) side. Not a perfect signal mirror, but better than nothing at all.

Thanks guys. All good information. The metallic tape thing is a neat thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom