Wrist Slate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a flat one like Merek linked to, but mine has two straps instead of just one (possibly made by Trident?).

I only use it for notes to myself (like NDL for the planned depth, plus for the next two depths). I wear it on the inside of my left wrist (right-handed), and didn't like wearing it and my watch band on the same wrist (too crowded). I eneded up attaching the watch to the slate. Since it covers part of the slate it limits the usable writing surface, but takes up less room on the wrist. I really like that setup.

I'd try to include a photo, but it's in the middle of being reworked. The watch recently died and the knife straps I was using as wrist straps broke.

I'm thinking of making a new one that will have a slate on the inside of the wrist, and compass and watch on the outside of the wrist.

speedhound:
Not a major problem, just an pain sometimes.

One thing that I've done with my wrist slate, and will do with my new slate, is to put some shiny metallic tape on the one (next to forearm) side. Not a perfect signal mirror, but better than nothing at all.

Hey SP, what's wrong with getting a mirror?

O2BBubbleFree:
Hey SP, what's wrong with getting a mirror?

Nothing at all , but I don't usually carry a signal mirror if I'm diving in lakes/quarries - and a back-up for offshore diving (have star-flash) is never a bad thing.

I have the three tier wrist slate and its great. Took the velcro strap it came with off right away and custom sized bungee for each side. Also too a P-Touch label maker and made a variety of points attached to the slate in nice bold print: What direction, deco stop, what is that etc. Now I just point to some of the more common underwater questions.

My slate rests on my upper forearm with my compass closer to the wrist. Left arm

So I have gotten the idea that I can get one and modify it and I think it will make me happy. Thanks for all the great ideas. This group is always so ingenious.

Paula, just wanted to tell you that Marci is right about my wrist slate. I'm always wanting to say something under water and somes the hand signals just don't suffice. :D My arms are small so we took off the biggest slate from the three wrist slates. It left the two smaller slates. Still doesn't fit my arm perfectly but once you bungee them and push them up your arm a bit it is fine. I have my hockey puck style dive computer (ReAct Pro) attached as well. I keep mine pushed up on my left arm since I write with my right hand.

Hope this helps. I can show you next month at Rawlings. We talked about the Rawlings trip at the dive yesterday and I think some more people are jumping on board to camp and dive that weekend.

Mel

Thanks Mel. I'm going to give it a whirl. I.m hoping that if we take the large slate off the bottom it will work for me and then maybe Greg can use the large one and that gives us both a slate to yell at each other underwater. :D

This Rawlings trip may just turn out alright.

Mrs.Prages:
Thanks Mel. I'm going to give it a whirl. I.m hoping that if we take the large slate off the bottom it will work for me and then maybe Greg can use the large one and that gives us both a slate to yell at each other underwater. :D

LOL! Yeah, I know what you mean here. However, there are certain hand signals that work best in this situation. :D

I've used them all, sometimes you just want to spice it up a little ya know!

The best dive slate is a mini magna-doodle from Toy-r-us. They cost about $5 work every time and are erasable. My dive buddy likes to write me novels underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom