wrist vs. console computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you everyone for the great info. Sounds like Wrist is the way to go, so I think I am going to go with the Mares Puck as it has great reviews and is a good price. Thanks again for all the insight.

I fully agree with the wrist preference. I just finished a week of diving with a student, and he clearly stated that he wished he had his instruments on his wrists as I did.

I want to add one comment on the debate about sharing computers. A computer tracks information over a range of dives, adjusting its limits on each dive based on what you did before. In your 5 weeks in Bonaire, will it be possible that one or more of you will not feel like doing a dive that the other one wants to do? If so, the computer will no longer be accurate for both of you. When I have been on liveaboards doing multiple dives per day, that has always been the case--someone gets tired and skips a dive. Every diver needs to have his or her own gauges.

Although I prefer the wrist system now, I would make the exception to get the Atomic Cobalt.

To be fair there are some advantages to a console:
1. all info is displayed in one place
2. less likely to lose and easier to don the BC without having junk (computer/compass) on your wrist
3. the compass is more accurate from the console than from the wrist, as the lubber like is more likely to be off on the wrist compass

If you do go with a console it's OK to get a small retractor to attach the console.

If you do go with a console it's OK to get a small retractor to attach the console.

That's what I have. Been using the same retractor for three years now and it still works like a charm. Console stays clipped off so it never drags or hangs.

One of the interesting things that come out of these types of threads is the general uniformity of opinion from "technically trained" divers as opposed to the wide variety of opinions from "the average recreational diver."

When I did my PADI Technical instructor training, I was somewhat amused to read the PADI Tec Deep Manual (written by Karl Shreeves who is one of the top trainers at PADI). Throughout the discussions of gear choices, he often wrote, "Well, for recreational diving, it is OK to do this but it is more efficient (or more safe, or just better) to do it 'X' way for technical diving." It struck me then that IF it is "more efficient" or "safer" or just "better" to do it "this way" then why isn't that the norm?

Guess how many technical divers use consoles as their primary source of information.

Thank you everyone for the great info. Sounds like Wrist is the way to go, so I think I am going to go with the Mares Puck as it has great reviews and is a good price. Thanks again for all the insight.

I recall a scubadiving.com computer test from a few years back that showed the Mares used pretty much the most conservative algorithm available - Just something to be aware of, depending on where you stand in regards to liberal vs conservative algorithms

edit - how about that, I still have the link handy http://www.scubadiving.com/files/old/images/pdf/200806_chambertest.pdf

I much prefer wrist computers. I find it much easier to monitor everything on a regular basis without having to reach for/pull console out. It is easy enough to just put my wrist in front of my face. I was recently in market for a new computer and as much as I liked the display on Atomic Cobalt, there was no way I could go to it only because it is a console. I have a Liquivision Lynx on the way which I am even more excited about than I ever was the Cobalt :)

There IS something to be said for having it all in one place on a console (assuming you are not going air-integrated on the wrist computer) and I know some dive shops push new divers towards a console for this reason, it "forces" them to check their air and such more. However, if you know you would prefer a wrist computer, go with a wrist computer and if your intent is to have a safe dive remembering to check air should not be an issue. Or...just go air-integrated and have it all in one place. :wink:

My preference is a higher tech air-integrated wrist computer with a more budget-friendy backup wrist computer. I also have a very small bud SPG that I leave on a retractor just in case something happens with my transmitting unit on my primary computer. I know a couple friends who don't have an air integrated wrist, but combine it with the small bud SPG which is much easier to maneuver than a full console.

If your shop has a few rental computers, you might want to see if you can try a few different brands and models out both on land and in the water (either at your local dive site or the pool). I think computers are a very, very personal preference. If you can't rent them, at least go to the shop and play with a few. The Mares Puck for example is one-button operation, which some people like, and some don't.

You should most definitely each have your own computer though. I would never recommend diving someone else's computer. Even if you and your wife are good buddies and close by, it is not hard for one of you to have gone a little deeper, or been at depth a couple minutes longer, etc. I am big on safety, and to me each of you having your own computer is just safer. I know *I* feel safer knowing my dive buddy and I are each are being responsible for ourselves as part of being a good buddy is also being responsible for own dive and such in the first place. Also, as someone else pointed out if you are going on a multiple day, multiple dive trip there is always a good chance that at any one time one of you won't feel like diving a dive. Not each having your own computer can really mess with the other person being able to get a dive in with a different buddy! Sucks to miss out on a dive because of not having a computer and then have the others come up saying it was the best dive of the trip!

The ONLY downside I personally find to a wrist computer is that you have to worry about putting it on after you don your exposure suit (be it a wetsuit or a drysuit). A console is already on your BCD so no worries about waiting to put it on or forgetting it in the hotel room or anything (unless you forget your entire BCD).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom