wrist vs. console computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few thoughts for the OP and others:

First, you can take the gauges out of a console and put them on a wrist mount if you want. So if you get a better deal on a console then go for it if you can purchase DSS mounts for the gauges.

Second, If the console "hangs" then purchase a shorter hose for the SPG and clip it off. There is no reason you cannot shorten it up.

Third, consoles do not always need to be big and bulky. There are smaller consoles out there.

Finally, I do prefer wrist mounts myself but that may not be your preference. The main disadvantages of a console such as bulk and dragging can by overcome by good gear selection.

My personal preference I wrist, but that is because I dive with two. If I put them on my right arm, they are not only easy to read, but the computers are at the same depth. Vice diving one wrist and one console, which would give you different depths and possibly conflicting decompression profiles. If you are only running one computer per person, you may either want a console or an air integrated wrist. I think consoles are less confusing and easier to dive for novice divers, being that all your pertinent info is in the same place.

If you go lobster hunting, digging in sand, prying scallops off rocks, basically any dive where you need to pin your arm against the rocks or into crevices, a wrist computer is going to get trashed or possible get your hand stuck in a cookie jar. In these situations a console set up would do much better, but you could always clip off your wrist computer to your BC in these situations.

To the OP: Please buy a gauge for each of you, even if you have to go used to do it. If you get separated -- and it happens -- you have left one of you with NO information about depth and time -- no way to gauge ascent speed or know your decompression information. Better to buy something very simple -- even a watch with a depth meter and use tables -- than to leave someone in the water with no information at all.

Some of us like a dive computer that logs our dives, and from which we can download those dive profiles to a regular computer. This is a nice way to get a sense of how you dive, plus not only your maximum depth but your average depth, time in & out and total dive time. If it's an air-integrated computer, you can also get start & end pressures, gas consumption and SAC for the dive. And likely the water temp., too.

Richard.

+1 on ts&m's recommendation. Although I didn't clearly state it in my earlier post, each diver should have their own computer. It's just sensible, each diver being in control of their own fate.

I went back and forth on the matter of wrist versus console. My previous computer was a console, a Suunto Cobra (1st generation). I had it for about eight years and then started having problems with it. I really liked the air integration and the transmitters were still not that common back then. I recently bought an Atomic Cobalt. For me, it came down to readability. My eyes aren't quite as good as they used to be for reading. I looked at the Oceanic VT 4.1, the Pro Plus 3 and the Cobalt. I really wanted to like the VT 4.1 but felt the other two were far more readable. In the end, I chose the Cobalt. The reason I mentioned all of this is that the matter of wrist versus console may actually be decided by things other than the style as others have noted. If my eyes were better for reading, I might have gone with a smaller wrist unit.

When I was starting out I had my heart set on the Cobalt, a superb console computer. But given the high price tag I waited only to find out that people that owned it were recommending a wrist computer. Why? Too much dollars dangling on the floor every time they took off their gear. No matter how well they protected it during a dive, every time they took off their gear that very important piece of equipment was meeting the floor... I agree although I miss the big "pros" of that particular computer, the bright color and easy to read display. So after long consideration I opted to invest on a wrist computre with integrated air, the suunto d6i. It is the size of a watch and can wear anywhere so when diving or travelling, it replaces my standard watch. Has compass too, but because I prefer the nice big old-fashioned instruments have an extra on my wrist. Also just in case the wireless transmitter gives up, I have an old fashion pressure gauge.

I still like the big bright display of the Cobalt but I have since discovered Liquivision which has a great feature, you can monitor a buddy's air if they have the same wireless air integration. For someone like you who dives with your wife all or most of the time, that is a useful feature. Only caveat of the liquivision, it is not a watch but a wrist console so that is a bit bigger than my wrist watch size D6i

I bought a console with compass, PC and SPG right out of OW a few years ago. It took me less that 4 dives to realize I wanted my PC and compass on my wrist for all of the above reasons.

+ 2 on TSandM post. Compared to regs, BCDs, dry suits, etc. basic computers are inexpensive and each diver needs her own.

I have SPG clipped to left waist D-Ring, main computer on right wrist, compass and trilobyte cutter on left wrist and backup computer (Oceanic BUD) on left chest D-ring. Works well for me.

Back
Top Bottom