wrist vs. console computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving a console ever since I have been diving and prefer it over a wrist. Now to start, my computer is air integrated. In all my years of diving I have never had a single problem with any of the console computers I have owned and like Michael said, I can check pressure/depth/time in one quick glance. I have had several friends who have had AI wrist computers who have had problems where the computer isn't getting the signal from the transmitter. So there is one advantage over a wrist if you opt for air integration. I have my console clipped to the bottom of my bc and it takes me all of 3 seconds to pull it out, look at it, and return it.

I bought both so I have a backup.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

FM 1520, To give you more background...We were certified with Coconut Tree Divers in Roatan. Our equipment was very basic 2 gauge that some days the unit was so clouded over it was difficult to read. We were with our guide/instructor all the time and relied on his computer, and knowledge for safety stops etc. I am mainly looking at a computer because we are going to Bonaire and will be diving on our own after we take the shore dive class.
Peter Guy, I agree I would like to have a computer for both my wife and I but we will only be diving one month a year when on vacation and we are trying to not break the bank with our initial gear purchase. After we have used the one for our first trip, I bet we will opt to get a second one for the next year when funds catch up.
I was leaning towards the wrist, just for convenience of not needing to take the whole reg console if I want to review information or track dive stats when back at the condo. My biggest reason for the console is I can get a console with compass for less than separate gauges and wrist DC.and would still need to buy a compass.
Thanks for all the input and I look forward to more responses.
Tom

I definitely think it would be good to have a computer as long as each of you have one. I haven't priced any lately but I suspect you could get a decent basic computer with a pressure gauge for a few hundred dollars. You won't really need a compass in Bonaire but doesn't hurt to have one if it's included in a package as you may need one other places. Five weeks in Bonaire would be great. Hope you have a great time and safe diving!

I am also in the wrist camp for all the reasons mentioned. I would highly recommend, even if you don't both have computers, that you have a secondary depth gauge and timing device. If the computer fails, you don't want it being your only means of knowing depth or time. Especially in Bonaire where you will be driving out to dive sites and being the only two people on the dive. There are some very inexpensive wrist computers, so getting one as a backup is probably a good idea.

---------- Post added May 12th, 2013 at 10:08 AM ----------

FYI LeisurePro has the Mares Puck and Aeris XR1 wrist computer on sale for under $175. The Mares is a very good nitrox wrist computer at a very cheap price.

A few things based on my personal opinion only. I much prefer wrist. My main computer is a Suunto Cobra console. It is really nice but my Zoop is more convenient.

Air integration basically doubles the cost of the computer. It is nice to see your air but the other information it calculates is worthless in my opinion. So you are paying double for the convenience of having a pressure guage combined with computer. Some will disagree with me on air integration. Many ppl love it. If you don't mind the extra cost then AI is a nice feature but hardly necessary.

The last thing to consider is your eyes! Lots of people prefer a larger screen on SOME consoles like the Oceanic Pro Plus. But again there are also easy to read wrist computer as well.

Regardless of your decision for wrist or console mounting your computer, do not do like I did when I first got my computer. I was so fixated on the extended length of my bottom time over diving tables that I was not watching my SPG at all. When I realized that I was the only diver still on the wreck and began to wonder why everyone had gone up so soon, I noticed that I was down to 200psi. Needless to say I almost freaked out and swam like hell back to the anchor line and ascended without a safety stop. Next day I traded my 80's for 120's.

The "rules" say to only use your own computer and not rely upon your buddies computer. I do agree with this, mainly because of the possibility of diver separation. Using your buddies computer should be more of a last resort than the normal plan.

Consoles are nice as a means of keeping everything in one location and making sure that nothing is left at home. They do tend to dangle and be a snag hazard.

Wrist mounted seems much more convenient to see the display easily and quickly with minimal interruption to your sightseeing. The ability to take with you for different gear setups can also be a plus.

Regardless of your decision for wrist or console mounting your computer, do not do like I did when I first got my computer. I was so fixated on the extended length of my bottom time over diving tables that I was not watching my SPG at all.

That's one of the benefits of a console. When you are checking depth or time the pressure gauge is right there as well.

Consoles are nice as a means of keeping everything in one location and making sure that nothing is left at home. They do tend to dangle and be a snag hazard.

Just clip it off and that solves the above problem.

I have a Sherwood Wisdom and one thing I like about a console is that in general, the numbers are larger than a wrist mount (although I have seen some huge wrist mounts) and that makes it a bit easier to read for some of us whose eyesight isn't quite what it use to be.

I'm in the wrist camp. Easy to have in front of me for Safety Stops.

Only advantage of console mounted computers, is that you can have air integration that isn't wireless. Much cheaper that way.

But I wouldn't trade my Galileo Luna for a console computer any day.

I like wrist too, but I've recently seen a good argument on this board for console. It's possible to jump off the boat and forget your wrist computer. To forget a console, you'd have to also forget your regulator.

Also, you can get air integrated consoles for a more reasonable rate than air integrated wrist. With air integration, a computer can calculate your remaining breathing time and let you download air consumption data along with the other data it stores about the dive.

Unless you buy a hoseless air integrated wrist computer, you're not going to eliminate dangling things on your left side by getting a wrist computer because of the spg.

One more comment. I suspect you'll end up wanting to do at least two dives in a day. Every boat I've been on does "two tank trips" where you dive one tank, come up and do a SIT and then dive the second. You could opt out of the second tank, but you'll be waiting on the surface for the other divers to do their second tank anyway so you might as well dive it.

Back
Top Bottom