Wrist vs Watch style + please help me narrow down my list

Which of the following Dive Computers would you purchase?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

travelrider

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I'm new to diving and I'm shopping for a dive computer with wireless AI and Nitrox capability and PC interface. I don't want to WASTE money, but at the same time, I'll fork over the cash if I need to, and I'm kind of a gadget guy.

So far, I've only played with a Galileo Sol and my first impression was that it was very user friendly and had everything I needed (and then some). My second impression was "Wow, this is huge!". So, I'm wondering about the size of the Galileo Sol vs something the size of the Oceanic OC1, which I have not had an opportunity to hold in my hand yet.

Is there any benefit to the monster sized wrist computers? If I buy the watch sized unit will I find myself pushing buttons under water to see the information I need? I'd really like to have one that can show me my Air Pressure, Depth, Remaining Time at current depth, and a Compass on the screen at the same time.

My current list to look at is:
Oceanic OC1
Suunto D9
Oceanic VT 4.0
UWATEC Galileo Sol or Luna
Suunto Vyper Air

In addition to my question about wrist vs watch, I'm curious if you would eliminate anything from the list and why. Also if there's a good lower cost alternative to the ones listed that I might be overlooking. Definintely want the AI and Nitrox though.

Thanks!!!

Wrist versus watch? Implying the two are opposed in some way? I wear my watch on my wrist. I guess you mean watch-sized wrist computer vs iphone-sized wrist computer.

I have one of each, but a cheap iphone-sized wrist computer, the SmartCom, as a backup, with no AI.

Anyway, I voted for the D9. That's what I have, and I'm happy with it, but it's not state-of-the-art now, four years after its introduction. It is not the easiest display to read either--I think that's the main advantage of the monster-sized wrist computers, a larger display. The disadvantage, I guess, is you'd look silly wearing one as an actual watch. I recommend buying a dive computer for diving and a watch for telling time. Because I think I'd look silly wearing my D9 to work, though I don't mind it doing double duty on dive trips.

When my D9 dies I'll look at the new Atomic Cobalt computer, with the OLED display, once they have a wrist version out.

My eyesight isn't what it used to be, another joy of getting older, so the wrist watch sized comps I used to own are just too small for me now. I really wanted a Galileo Luna but after seeing one in the "flesh" it was waaay to big for me. Settled on a Vyper, not air, as I also own a Gekko so same algorithm, it's now the back up (on live a-boards/diving holidays) to my Vyper. Both cheap enough that if I lose/break etc I wouldn't cry.

I like huge. Its easier to see and use. If I want a watch, I'll buy a nice watch.

I am currently diving a Vyper Air and had a VT3 before that. Both are great.

I've owned both the D9 and the Galileo SOL. IMO, the Galiledo is hands and away the better dive computer. Not that the D9 is bad but the SOL has a much larger screen, though it would be great if it were OLED.
The digital compass on the SOL also can't be beat. Keep in mind that you are wearing this underwater and the size of the SOL is really not that bad... It is also very comfortable they way it is designed.
You may also want to look at the Mares ICON HD computer. It is very similar to the Galileo in design.
Mares Icon HD Wireless - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

I have a gekko and veo 3.0. I like the wrist(puck) over the watch size due the ease of reading the info and the fact that I have no interest in using it as a watch when not diving. I also went without air because I like my gauge and prefer not losing the transmitter signal no matter how briefly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom