Writing a book for the recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJohn65

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've been diving for over 25 years, and been an instructor since 1990. Love it.

For the past few years I've thought of writing a couple of books on diving. One is more of a "how to" type book and one is more about my experiences both as a diver and as a dive instructor - the good, the bad and the ugly.

That said, my background is as an engineer, not a writer. This is not so much of a blank page, writer's block issue, but more of a question of publishing. How do I get started on the road to a published book?

Any ideas of how to protect my work within the scope of copyright laws?

Thx,

Hello John,

I've noticed several writers and aspiring writers on the forums from time to time and thought about starting some 'scuba writers' group. If some of the other writers here think it might be worthwhile, maybe we should start some underground SB subforum for writers. Do writers of scuba fiction/ non-fiction have enough voice to warrant our own forum?

To answer your question, generally when you write something you own it when it is created. The deal is you need to document when you created it to keep others from claiming credit for it. This is generally easy to do just by creating a manuscript.

Copyright infringement is a very minor hazard that a writer faces compared with crooked agents and vanity press scams. If you're writing a non-fiction text book, a real danger is people using your photos and drawings.

The print on demand publishers usuall have great FAQ sections that address copyrights. You might surf:

www.createspace.com
Smashwords - Ebooks from independent authors and publishers

Also, publishing industry blogs are a great resource. Google 'Alan Rinzler' and 'Nathan Bradford', they both have great blogs.

It was a dark and stormy night ...

Once upon a time...........

or

This is no $hit.

The difference between a fairy tale and a true story.:wink:

-Mitch

i have heard that in order to get content for ebooks, publishers like amazon and barnesandnoble are accepting manuscripts from a lot of different sources.
Amazon.com : Self-Publish with Us

You might want to check out similar works by other authors to get an idea of the market. I Though I Saw Atlantis by Tillman is one of the better ones; Taking the plunge by Bill McBride not so good (it is badly in need of a good editor).

I have published a few magazine artlcles on scuba and have two books on shipwrecks that get my attention every so often. Writing is like any other skill; you get better at it with practice. Don't think of it as writing a book; think of it as writing a series of stories; with each story as a chapter.

I'd go with self-publishing at Amazon. As I understand it, it's cheap, and they give you a decent cut of the proceeds. You'll have to forgo the multimillion-dollar advance, but publishers are increasingly less prone to cut checks like that, particular for scuba diving manuals. But before I wrote a word, I'd look at the popular books already available, and honestly evaluate whether you can do a better job.

If you could incorporate some amusing anecdotes into the instructional material--taking advantage of your gifts as a humorist and raconteur--it might have a broader appeal. <cue 30-second ad by DivemasterDennis>

:D

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when the drugs began to take hold.
This is gonna make for an interesting story :)

This is gonna make for an interesting story :)

It was quite a story. Ever hear of Hunter S. Thompson.

I remember saying something like "I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive..."

Suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom