writing on your gear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jloving1

Reaction score
I was wandering what would be the best thing to use to write on your gear. Would a paint pen work and be environmentally safe?

Something to color (brighten) the palms of black dive gloves, marking on booties, writing on the bottom of fins, etc?

Any ideas as to what would work the best?

jloving1:
I was wandering what would be the best thing to use to write on your gear. Would a paint pen work and be environmentally safe?

Something to color (brighten) the palms of black dive gloves, marking on booties, writing on the bottom of fins, etc?

Any ideas as to what would work the best?

I have used the permenant paint pen. It has worked wonderful. I like the sharpee idea too! What specifically are you trying to label?

Aluminium wheel paint with a fine brush. Reflects really well under water.

I use Uni-Paint markers by Sanford - they come in a variety of colors and can be found at most office supply stores. I've never tried painting the palms of my gloves but put my initials on most everything.

.......Valve Action Paint Markers work great. I have found the white and blue to be the most handy. Seems to be permanant, I have really never had to touch it up.

$4-$5 a piece at leisurepro.com

dave

Well, it will ruin the value of your gear when you decide to trade up. Etchings, scribe marks, SSNs, names etched or permenantly afixed to your gear alters it's value to another person, keep that in mind. N

thanks for some great ideas!!

from what i have read, initials stay on pretty well so my little experiment coloring the entire palm of my gloves should be interesting. I think i will color one with a sharpee and one with a paint pen and leave them soaking in the sink with and without salt water for a few days and lets see what happens!!!

Let us know which one holds up better! Sounds like a good science fair experiment for one of my kids...

jloving1:
thanks for some great ideas!!

from what i have read, initials stay on pretty well so my little experiment coloring the entire palm of my gloves should be interesting. I think i will color one with a sharpee and one with a paint pen and leave them soaking in the sink with and without salt water for a few days and lets see what happens!!!

On the bottom of my Turtles, I can get it off with some Gel Gloss. So I usually customize messages (I'm frog kicker... so bottom of the fin is a billboard to buddy...) for the specific dive.

I write silly things for buddies, and nasty things for wifie. :wink:

Both are unaware of pending message until I hit the water...

I need a life.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom