xcalak, Banco Chinchorro, cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning a dive trip in April and am trying to decide between xcalak and Cozumel. I've been to Cozumel many times but I'm interested in learning abou the dive condition near xcalak and banco chinchorro. Can anybody comment?

4 of us went to Mahahual in September. Used a local dive op. Not so good. We took a day trip to XTC Dive Center to try to dive, but the wind/waves made them back down. In my opinion Banco Chinchorro would be an awesome trip with the right op. XTC would be the right choice. It will cost more, but it will be worth it. We paid less from Mahahual, but our dives were not that great. Beautiful corals, a lot of small fish, but nothing spectacular. I blame the dive shop in Mahahual. It seemed they didn't have the knowledge. Message me if you need more info.

Yep, we saw gators on the Banco Chinchorro. Didn't snorkel with them though. They will eat watermelon rinds, and the BIG iguanas will beg everything.

Did 20 hours diving Mahahual as well as a day of Banco Chinchorro. Banco appeared fished out and pretty dead sadly in the two spots they dropped us compared to the easier access sites near Mahahaul. Wasn't particularly worth the boat ride for us but from further rresearch some areas are better protected.

Regards,
Cameron

My wife & I made the journey to Xcalak in June of this year and stayed 2 weeks. I had made prior arrangements with XTC Dive Center to do a trip to Banco Chinchorro. We stayed at a private home 6 miles down the beach road from XTC that was off the grid, no electricity, no city water. It ran completely off of solar power and cistern rain water. We rented trough VRBO & thoroughly enjoyed the total quiet except for the breeze and birds. I tend to disagree with the above review of Banco Chinchorro. We saw plenty of sea life and a pristine reef. It is a long boat ride, 2 - 2 1/2 hrs. each way, but well worth the trip. I also did some local diving with XTC and found them to be a fantastic shop with great guides, including dive instructor trainees from all over the world. I'm already ready to go back and do an even longer stay.

4 of us went to Mahahual in September. Used a local dive op. Not so good. We took a day trip to XTC Dive Center to try to dive, but the wind/waves made them back down. In my opinion Banco Chinchorro would be an awesome trip with the right op. XTC would be the right choice. It will cost more, but it will be worth it. We paid less from Mahahual, but our dives were not that great. Beautiful corals, a lot of small fish, but nothing spectacular. I blame the dive shop in Mahahual. It seemed they didn't have the knowledge. Message me if you need more info.

I believe that I said "to dive with XTC, the best shop around" back several months ago, did I not?

I'm heading out there tomorrow. Which one should I avoid? Any particular reefs I should ask to visit? Any advice most gratefully received
Thanks so much

I'm heading out there tomorrow. Which one should I avoid? Any particular reefs I should ask to visit? Any advice most gratefully received
Thanks so much

If you are referring to dive shops, XTC (XTC DIVE CENTER | Scuba diving, Snorkelling, Fishing and Excursions in Xcalak, Costa Maya Mexico) is the only one in Xcalak, but fortunately, a very good one! Try not to miss Banco Chinchorro (Diving Banco Chinchorro - AWOL Americans) if the weather allows. Another dive that was very unique was La Poza, which is a trench running parallel to the reef with hundreds of tarpons hanging in the current. You had better have your accommodations reserved ahead of time, fairly slim pickings in Xcalak. We stay at a house on the beach rented through Airbnb, very remote, off the grid, but extremely peaceful. Be sure and gas up at the Pemex where you turn to Xcalak, outside of Mahahual.

Thanks so much
I am assuming by 'heading out there' you are referring to Xcalak, if so try La Poza and La Chimenea I found both dives very nice. La Chimenea is an old Cenote passage that has collapsed thru at multiple points so it is now a swim thru as opposed to a cavern. La Poza has a semi permanent school of 300-600 tarpon milling about in a trench.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom