Xerotherm Arctic vs SubXero

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Orans

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What's the ideal temperature range for each set with a drybase underlayer?

Dunno about 'official' ranges
I've had 40 minute to 60 minute run times in the arctic set in temperatures from 9 degrees celcius up.
It's coming into summer here and the water is heading north of 12-13 degrees and i find the arctic a bit hot. I'll be looking into the xerotherm basic package shortly as i'm that impressed with fourth element.

Another advantage is if you have a leaking suit. My suit leaks in the left arm and i don't even notice it until i have to wring the water out after the dive... the whole wicking thing is amazing.

Oh, I've done 90+ minutes in 10C/50F water with the Xerotherm Arctic/Drybase layer under a DUI TLS350.

I have now done about 17 dives with these undergarments. Temperatures are rapidly dropping now (and the vis keeps improving :)) so I will find out soon enough what temperatures I feel comfortable with.

I was just wondering (since this is the official manufacturers forum) what kind of temperatures Fourth Element feel is ideal for both combinations of undergarments...

Its always difficult to be definitive with temperature recommendations as everyone tends to respond differently to cold and also the thermal insulation offered by different drysuits varies from a neoprene suit to a membrane or trilaminate.

I general, under a trilaminate suit I would recommend the Arctic for temperatures from the mid to upper 50s to the upper 60s. In temperatures lower than 55 or so, I would strongly advocate layering the Arctic with a xerotherm base layer or a similar thermal base layer.

Under a neoprene suit, depending on the thickness of the neoprene we recommend the Arctic for cooler temperatures down to the upper 40s when worn on its own. In the lower and mid 40s we would recommend layering the Arctic with a xerotherm base layer, or similar base layer.

I hope you understand how difficult it is to be prescriptive with this, and people's individual experiences vary wildly.

Under a trilaminate or membrane suit in temperatures of the upper 40s and cooler, down to freezing, we reccommend the SubX undersuit as the principal thermal protection.

I hope this helps.

Jim

I had my Arctic on in Dutch Springs on this past New Years dive. I did a 40 min dive in 40 deg water. I really started to feel the cold around 25 to 30 min. I normally get cold in my knees before any thing else. So i may try the SubX pant with the Arctic top and a drybase layer. I am a fourth Element believer. Great Product!!!

Most my diving is done in 39 degree water so mostly limit my dive times to 60 minutes or so. I use the Arctic, along with a thin nylon top and a smart wool long sleeve T.
This has work out okay, I do seem to get cold easily. But that has always been the case with what ever I have used. The Xerotherm seems to work out the best.
At sometime in the future I would like to add a heated vest. This way I could extend my bottom times.

Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom