Question XM450 socks vs. Santi Primaloft vs. 4th Element Hotfoot Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keysdvr

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi all.

Need to upgrade my drysuit socks from the current bulky, crappy unbranded fleece ones. In a DUI XM400 suit and diving in the St. Lawrence where the most recent water temp was 35F. I need something that is warm, as I get cold easily. And being cold sucks. I'm comparing the four options below, and would appreciate input if anyone has direct experience. Thanks!

DUI XM450 socks
Santi Primaloft Socks
Santi Thinsulate Socks
4th Element Hotfoot Pro

specifically:
If I can find the Santi Thinsulate (discontinued) vs. the Primaloft (new) - is the new model really better?
4th element lists the Hotfoot pro as their 'warmest' sock - at half the price, does that really compare with the DUI (or Santi?
What are you wearing UNDER the sock, and does the sizing account for it? (eg. are you wearing a thin wool sock under?)

I wore the DUI450 socks years ago when they came with my Dry Suit Pkg. I never liked them. They were warm enough but they always felt loose and bunched up inside the boot and my OCD couldn't stand it.

I have been wearing 1 or 2 pairs of regular wool/polyblend socks instead.
The last couple years I have been using the UA Charged Wool Boot Socks. Suits me fine for an hour under the ice with no discomfort. We're all different though.
My DUI TLS350 suit has integrated 3mm boots so this works. If you're using rock boots it could be a different story.

Sorry I couldn't give you a comparison but just another possible option.

I’ve tried thinsulate socks on and they were bunchy. Did not like it. I don’t like socks bunchy around my toes. I do use FE Hot Foot socks. They are really warm, so I expect the Hot Foot Pro would be even better. I’ve tried them down to about 48F. Will be a few weeks before I get them in colder water. I just wore a silk liner under as my usual small fits pretty closely.

My go to is $20 carhart wool hunting socks or similar.
The 4th element hotfoot pros are slightly(not much) warmer, but also a pia to put on/off.

Focus more on core temp, add another layer or heated vest

I have the Santi Primaloft. They are elastic, and that is a pro. The thinsulate do not stretch.
That said: I do not use them.. Perhaps that is just me, but I much prefer a combination of medium thick wool socks and a pair of Kwark socks on top of that. Warmer, takes less space (the Primalofts are very fluffy). I would also take a double (thin plus thick) wool socks instead of the primalofts.
By the way: This is diving longer deco dives in 2C fresh water (Norway), -15 C air temp. Wool inner soles in tech-boots to prevent cold feet before getting in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom