Xmas/New Years diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaNYC16

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning a dive trip and need to know which side of the country has better weather and viz this time of year. I haven't been in 10 years but I remember the Gulf side being more rainy this time. Thanks!

December / Jan is usually virtually dry, and indeed the most settled period of weather in the Eastern Gulf, Koh Tao I think can still have a little rain, but nothing to worry about. High season in the Andaman sea also, and by far the best place to go diving.

Where are the best sites on Andaman Sea? I dove Phi Phi ages ago but don't remember it being so great.

Best diving you will find year round on the Andaman side. The time of year though really has no effect on visibility here.

Nice diving at the Similans, especially at Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock (the latter officially Surin national park, not Similans), Shark Point area, Bida Islands (Phi Phi), Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Koh Haa, some more nice divesites futher South in the Koh Lipe/Tarutao area.

Is your trip a dedicated dive trip or are you planning a general trip with a bit of diving thrown in? If it's a dedicated dive trip, you might consider a liveaboard to the Similans/Surins for 4-5 days, or even a longer trip for 6-7 days going to both the southern islands down toward Hin Daeng (south of Lanta) as well as the Similans and Surins up north.

The Similans would probably be your best choice, as Quero says a Liveaboard is the best option if that suits your plans or you can stay in Khao Lak and take daytrips if you have other members in your party who are non divers. What ever you decide make sure you have something organised before you arrive, it's obviously a busy period and your options will be severely limited if you leave it until the last minute and quite a few of the Similan liveaboards have early booking discounts.

If a dive center manager like me or others on this page says 'Book Now for Christmas / New Year' it sounds like we're pushing you to book, but it is actually true .. the 2 weeks around the end of the year, most nicer boats fill up months in advance, and when I get enquiries in October or November, its very often the case that the reply is "sorry, but ..." or "well, we can find you a place on this cheap boat" ... It really is busy at that time of year. So it's good that you are starting to ask questions now! Best way to dive is liveaboards, and they mostly do 4 - 6 day trips to the Similan Islands, Richelieu Rock and a couple also including Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Phi Phi. Plenty of choice on boats with different prices, hope you can make it!

Yes I would go for the Andaman side for better conditions as it's entering the better half of the year. Like Batfish has said you should be looking to book early no matter how cliche it sounds as this is traditionally full quite early on and even in the beginning of January.

Seen that Similans is highly recommended, I booked a liveaboard for myself for my NewYear.
Just google White manta! Can't wait till it is December!! They visit all good sites in Similan. Recommended to me by other divers while in Puerto Gallera.

Hi,
If I don't want to take LOB what of all those places would be bets to stay for 2 weeks of Christmas and New Year's Eve. Or could there be a chance to move from one to the other. My problem is that if I'm fine with 10 dive days, my family members would like no more than 5 days but also study nature beauties, enjoy some beach, wonder little in local areas. Saying that we all hate big touristy centrums and rather stay on the place with beauty with less options.
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom