XT1 1st stage failed CLOSED at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guruboy

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
We always teach that regulators will fail open (freeflow) but it seems that's not exactly true.

My friend just had his XT1 1st stage fail CLOSED. As in NO AIR.

Reg was purchased new end of January this year. Surface checks showed no issue. First dive with the reg and after 15mins it failed on him at 65 feet. SPG showed pressure still.

Back on shore the SPG still showed pressure. He had to force open the second HP port plug to relieve pressure in order to get the reg off the tank. No blockage could be seen in the tank, diptube, or filter.

After getting the reg off he put it back on a tank and it seemed to work again. Understandably, he chose not to try diving it again.

Last edited:
So, to understand correctly, his regulator worked fine on the surface and then down to 65 ft before it failed?

I use dive rite xt1's so this thread will be of great interest to me.

Nice work getting to the surface. Did he CSEA or get his buddy's octo?

Gear will fail of course but you sure as hell dont think it will fail on the first dive. Hopefully they can figure out WTH happened to it.

So, to understand correctly, his regulator worked fine on the surface and then down to 65 ft before it failed?

I use dive rite xt1's so this thread will be of great interest to me.
Correct. After about 15 mins into the dive.

This is of great interest to him as well. He has like three other XT1 himself and our other friend has around four.

Last edited:
sounds like the HP seat got stuck. Can happen after improper assembly and has happened to me once before. The regulator in question has not been rebuilt since that incident and has not shown that failure mode in 2 years and roughly 200 hours of use

Hard to imagine how you could lose alignment that bad to lock it up and then have it function again. Really interested in the postmortem teardown in exactly what would cause the orifice to seize. I'm sure Lamar is too.

Gear will fail of course but you sure as hell dont think it will fail on the first dive. Hopefully they can figure out WTH happened to it.

I would not be comfortable simply leaving that up to "they". Almost any rgulator can fail closed. It really makes you appreciate the simplicity of an unbalancd piston 1st.

XT-1 is what I use for my technical diving. I would like to know what happened here.

I would not be comfortable simply leaving that up to "they". Almost any rgulator can fail closed. It really makes you appreciate the simplicity of an unbalancd piston 1st.
Hard for me to understand how they could fail closed. Please explain?

Back
Top Bottom