Question XTAR Batteries are they the "Best" and the "Reference" for batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been seeing XTAR batteries advertised and bundled with dive lights from several manufacturers. Are the XTAR batteries, the 18650 battery for example, considered the best in batteries for dive lights and dive related applications?

Are they different/better than the ones sold by OrcaTorch?

Are they different/better than the ones sold by OrcaTorch?
My XTAR 18650s last longer (subjective, not formal rests) than any other 18650s I have, including OrcaTorch. The latter, however, have a handy little micro-USB charging slot.

Neither. The issue they both have is they don't disclose who the actual cell manufacturer is. Xtar says made in China on their cells which doesn't make me giddy, not because it's from China but because they don't say who in China made it. Without knowing the actual cell manufacturer I am hesitant to make a recommendation to buy replacements from the manufacturers themselves.

In the US I tend to recommend that people go to a company like LiIon Wholesale as they disclose who the manufacturers are and the prices are quite reasonable to get branded Samsung/Sanyo/LG type cells. The one nifty thing as mentioned above with Orcatorch is they are not coming with USB recharge in the top of the cells which is nice if you only have one battery to recharge, but with a myriad of high quality chargers like Nitecore out there that are USB powered I find carrying one of them that actually gives me useful information about voltage and resistance on the cells to be worth the bulk of carrying when traveling, especially if you have to charge multiple batteries at a time.

My XTAR 18650s last longer (subjective, not formal rests) than any other 18650s I have, including OrcaTorch. The latter, however, have a handy little micro-USB charging slot.

Which ones do you have? The 3600mA or the 3500mA or something else (from XTAR)?

Neither. The issue they both have is they don't disclose who the actual cell manufacturer is. Xtar says made in China on their cells which doesn't make me giddy, not because it's from China but because they don't say who in China made it. Without knowing the actual cell manufacturer I am hesitant to make a recommendation to buy replacements from the manufacturers themselves.

In the US I tend to recommend that people go to a company like LiIon Wholesale as they disclose who the manufacturers are and the prices are quite reasonable to get branded Samsung/Sanyo/LG type cells. The one nifty thing as mentioned above with Orcatorch is they are not coming with USB recharge in the top of the cells which is nice if you only have one battery to recharge, but with a myriad of high quality chargers like Nitecore out there that are USB powered I find carrying one of them that actually gives me useful information about voltage and resistance on the cells to be worth the bulk of carrying when traveling, especially if you have to charge multiple batteries at a time.
I don't actually use the OrcaTorch embedded charger, except once to see if it worked. I just put the OrcaTorch battery in my 4-bay XTAR VC4+ charger along with all the other cells.

Which ones do you have? The 3600mA or the 3500mA or something else (from XTAR)?

Not sure why people dont just buy genuine samsung/panasonic cells...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom