Question XTAR Batteries are they the "Best" and the "Reference" for batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure why people dont just buy genuine samsung/panasonic cells...

Are these batteries better batteries or are they from the original cell mfg.? Why do you recommend them over the XTAR ones?

Are these batteries better batteries or are they from the original cell mfg.? Why do you recommend them over the XTAR ones?
The problem is you don't know who the original cell mfg is. Xtar doesn't manufacture batteries and if they aren't telling you who made them then you have no reason to believe they are higher quality than the top quality cells in the world. I promise you if they were Samsung/Sanyo/LG cells they would be marketing that fact....
Sometimes you need 10 or 15A batteries....

@BoltSnap modern lithium battery plants are expensive to set up, there aren't that many true OEMs and many smaller brands are just rebadged (same as how the smaller dive gear brands are getting their regs made by ODS). the assurance with getting a brand that discloses the original OEM (eg samsung/LG/sony/sanyo/panasonic) is that they are using new cells and not a hodgepodge of QC rejects or harvested used batteries from recycled laptop packs. with that said, XTAR is better regarded as a brand so the chances you'll get something as junky as TrustFire/UltraFire is a lot lower.

Sometimes you need 10 or 15A batteries....
Then you can buy the 30q cells, lol.

What are you building that has a <15min burn time?

One of the considerations with the cells is the protection from over discharge. They should shut off and not allow to be discharged to flat. This is done through the BMS circuit that is on the cell when it is typically packaged as a button top cell. It will vary by manufacturer but the BMS should shut off typically from 2.0-2.5 volts.

I've been happy using cells from Orbtronic. The use Japanese cells in their construction and they have proper shutoff cell protection verified with my own testing. For charging I use a Nitecore UMS2 charger.

I use my West Mountain Radio CBA IV for testing some 18650 and 21700 cells. I can assign it a load and it will chug along draining the cell at the assigned rate. Following is a plot of such a test. I used three different 18650 Li-ion cells, a couple Victagen 3200 mAh, an Ultralast 3400 mAh, and a couple Orbtronic 3500 mAh cells. The graph clearly shows the BMS cutting off the cells for the Ultralast and the Orbtronic at about the 2.1-2.2 volt mark. The Victagen just wanted to keep on trucking until my pre-programmed cutoff at 1.5V. Once the Li-ion cells get below 3V they start to tank quickly. They hold a fairly flat discharge rate compared to alkaline or lead acid batteries, but once they start to turn, it's an exponential drop.

The Victagen cells make it to 81-84% their rated capacity even when tested at a .2C (C being the Ah rating of the cell) draw rate. This along with their lack of cutoff protection leaves for much to be desired. The Ultralast tested to 96% of rated capacity and the Orbtronic cells to 95%. Really, not enought of a difference to make a difference.

A pair of Orbtronic 18650 3500 mAh cells sell for $26 from Orbtronic, and the Ultralast are sold for slightly more to considerably more depending on retailer ($13.50 from zbattery.com to $31 from Grainger). The Victagen cells came from Amazon with a charger for $23. A prime example of you get what you pay for, the stereotypical cheap Chinese junk.

Attachments

• 18650 ,2 C draw.jpg
    18650 ,2 C draw.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 41
And to tail on: The Xtar web site states their 3500 mAh cells are Panasonic-Sanyo cells inside. So Xtar is simply repacking them with a BMS. Basically the same product as Orbtronic is offering. I've no experience with the Xtar units, but if they are as they claim, I'd expect similar performance to the Orbtronic units given that they have the same underlying cells. Prices are comparable to one another with a quick web search shows imrbatteries.com selling them at $13/ea.

One of the considerations with the cells is the protection from over discharge. They should shut off and not allow to be discharged to flat. This is done through the BMS circuit that is on the cell when it is typically packaged as a button top cell. It will vary by manufacturer but the BMS should shut off typically from 2.0-2.5 volts.

I've been happy using cells from Orbtronic. The use Japanese cells in their construction and they have proper shutoff cell protection verified with my own testing. For charging I use a Nitecore UMS2 charger.

I use my West Mountain Radio CBA IV for testing some 18650 and 21700 cells. I can assign it a load and it will chug along draining the cell at the assigned rate. Following is a plot of such a test. I used three different 18650 Li-ion cells, a couple Victagen 3200 mAh, an Ultralast 3400 mAh, and a couple Orbtronic 3500 mAh cells. The graph clearly shows the BMS cutting off the cells for the Ultralast and the Orbtronic at about the 2.1-2.2 volt mark. The Victagen just wanted to keep on trucking until my pre-programmed cutoff at 1.5V. Once the Li-ion cells get below 3V they start to tank quickly. They hold a fairly flat discharge rate compared to alkaline or lead acid batteries, but once they start to turn, it's an exponential drop.

The Victagen cells make it to 81-84% their rated capacity even when tested at a .2C (C being the Ah rating of the cell) draw rate. This along with their lack of cutoff protection leaves for much to be desired. The Ultralast tested to 96% of rated capacity and the Orbtronic cells to 95%. Really, not enought of a difference to make a difference.

A pair of Orbtronic 18650 3500 mAh cells sell for $26 from Orbtronic, and the Ultralast are sold for slightly more to considerably more depending on retailer ($13.50 from zbattery.com to $31 from Grainger). The Victagen cells came from Amazon with a charger for $23. A prime example of you get what you pay for, the stereotypical cheap Chinese junk.
I have an XTAR charger that will check actual battery capacity for you. (I think several of their models are capable to do it). New XTAR batteries were spot on on their capacity. I checked my older batteries and they were lower. However, I think all these Li recharger batteries lose their capacity with re-charge cycles.

Back
Top Bottom